Reporting to the Chief of Materials Engineering, and under the direct supervision of the Supervisor of Chemical/Environmental Testing, the Materials Engineer will be responsible for conducting sampling and analyses in support of the Port Authority’s programs. The position entails approximately 30% fieldwork, including sampling of construction materials and environmental media at facilities within the Port District.
Specific tasks include but are not limited to the following:
- Consultant Agreement Management
- Manage the Chemical/Environmental Sampling and Analysis agreement
- Create, update, review and vote on RFP’s
- Create purchase orders for task orders
- Review and approve invoices in EIMS, consultant timesheets and wage rates
- Construction Contract Specifications and Submittals for Diesel Equipment
- Periodically update Division 1 specifications
- Contractor submittal review, approval and tracking
- Data Science Management
- Diesel equipment database
- New databases for chemical/environmental and asbestos/lead
- Emissions calculations
- Environmental Sampling and Testing
- Oversees environmental laboratory certifications under NELAP, NJDEP and NYSDOH for the Port Authority’s Chemical/Environmental Testing Laboratory and contracted, commercial, environmental laboratories
- maintains calibration records
- prepares, reviews, and audits Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and quality assurance manuals
- validates and imports environmental data into databases
- assess regulatory compliance
- Conducts air monitoring for particulate matter (PM-10 and PM2.5) and Total Suspended Particulate Lead (TSP-lead)
- Performs permitted discharge and monitoring well sampling
- Collects soil and water samples associated with disposal programs, underground storage tank programs, tenant transfers, construction/demolition wastes and spill investigations
- Supports lead and asbestos programs
- Construction Materials Sampling and Testing
- Develops and implements test methods for materials, such as Spray-on Fire Resistive Material (SFRM), concrete, ceramic tile, etc.
- Participates in on-site audits conducted by accrediting agencies to maintain laboratory certifications
- Oversees Construction materials testing programs, including AASHTO certification programs participation and staff supervision
- Provide quality assurance of construction materials
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in science or engineering, with course work in chemistry
- Possess a valid driver’s license
- Knowledgeable about hazardous waste disposal requirements
- Ability to obtain security clearance (10-year background check) for restricted airport work
- Three to five years’ experience in environmental sampling and testing as well as knowledge of environmental law and compliance under RCRA, CWA, CAA, and state remediation programs
- Completed OSHA 1910.120 40-hour training and current refresher
- Self-motivated, team leader, experienced in the overall quality of environmental programs.
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
- Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in science or engineering
- Interest in sustainable construction practices reducing greenhouse gas and criteria air pollutant emissions
- Ability to pass Certified Hazardous Materials Manager (CHMM) Certification examination within two years
- International Code Council (ICC) - SFRM & Intumescent Inspector Certification
- RCRA training meeting the requirements of 40CFR Part 262
Compensation & Benefits
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey offers a competitive salary, an outstanding benefits package and a professional environment that supports development and recognizes achievement.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the Apply Now button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume. The Port Authority of NY & NJ welcomes veteran and military spouse applications.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than $23 billion in annual wages and $80 billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.