This job posting is no longer active.
The Port Authority offers paid summer internships to students that provide the opportunity to work with knowledgeable and experienced professionals on assignments critical to operating, maintaining, and expanding the transportation infrastructure for one of the greatest economies in the world.
Assignments include hands-on projects to cultivate technical, writing, communication and team-building skills. The diversity of our businesses creates a variety of opportunities for students to gain exposure to the work of a first-class public agency
The PATH department is looking for a summer intern to join their team in the Car Equipment Division (CED) unit! Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assist CED Engineering team to resolve maintenance issues concerning PATH’s rolling stock.
- Collect, organize, and review data from rolling stock monitoring and diagnostic system as well as vehicle maintenance management system.
- Work with CED Inspection, Repair, Overhaul and Car Cleaning operations teams to implement and monitor maintenance solutions for PATH’s rolling stock.
- Assist CED Management with administrative functions of the Division as required.
About the Car Equipment Division (CED):
- The Car Equipment Division of PATH is responsible for the inspection, repair, maintenance, overhaul and cleaning of PATH’s fleet of rolling stock. The fleet consists of 350 passenger cars and 80 work cars.
- In addition to routine maintenance, CED’s Engineering and Operations Teams work together to provide innovative solutions to address failures that occur on the PATH railcar fleet in order to maintain a high level of customer service.
- CED is headquartered at PATH’s Harrison Car Maintenance Facility (HCMF) in Harrison, NJ with an additional facility for car cleaning and running repairs in Jersey City, NJ.
- Students must be enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program for the upcoming Fall 2022 school semester.
- We are seeking interns who are talented, driven and who have a genuine interest in contributing to the success of the New York/New Jersey region.
- We welcome applications from a diverse range of University disciplines and concentrations.
- Successful candidates will be self-starters with excellent communication, research and applicable technical skills.
- Engineering major, preferably with a concentration in Mechanical, Electrical or Electronics Engineering.
- Demonstrated ability in the use of computers and associated software including Microsoft Office.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to effectively work with internal employees at all levels, including unionized staff, and external consultants, as needed.
- Demonstrated effective written and oral communication skills.
This will be a hybrid internship opportunity, meaning that it will be virtual and in-person throughout the summer.
*This internship is expected to be a full time internship lasting approximately 8-10 weeks.
How to Apply
- To apply, please click on the ‘Apply Now’ button.
- Please be sure to complete all steps of the application process and click Submit at the end.
- Applicants will receive a generated confirmation email upon application completion.
- To be considered for the position you must respond to the essay question below.
- All applicants must answer all prompted questions and essay.
- Please upload your response and resume as one document in the section of the online. application that prompts you to upload your resume.
- Your essay response cannot exceed 150 words.
Applications that do not include a resume and essay response will be considered incomplete and will not be moved forward in the selection process.
Essay Question: Why do you want to work as a Summer Intern for the Port Authority of NY & NJ?
The application deadline is April 17 at 6:00pm EST. You will not be able to apply after this date.
- Interview Process: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and interviews will be conducted in March-April.
- Program Start Date: The Summer Internship Program is slated to begin June 2, 2022
The Selection Process:
- Please note that more than one department may contact students to interview.
- Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
- Interns are selected based on academic achievement, analytical and communication skills, and work experience.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the "Apply Now" button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume. The Port Authority of NY & NJ welcomes veteran and military spouse applications.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority:
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than $23 billion in annual wages and $80 billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.