Join one of the most diverse and innovative electrical engineering design groups with multiple specialties within the transportation sector. The Port Authority’s airports, ports, ferries, tunnels, bridges, bus terminals and rail transportation systems are important transportation links in the region. The Port Authority electrical engineering group provides engineering design services and prepares preliminary and final documents for innovative planning, design, construction and operation of the most critical electrical and electronics assets within the Port Authority (PA) facilities. The electrical engineering group is part of a multi-discipline group of engineers and other design professionals that form the Engineering Department of the Agency.
Reporting to a Principal Engineer, the Senior Electrical Engineer will be responsible for the design of power distribution power, lighting and fire alarm systems; supervision of technical staff and consultants in the preparation of engineering studies, master plans, preliminary and detailed system designs, design-build technical parameters and other design-build performance documents, contract drawings, technical specifications and construction cost estimates; evaluation of project scopes and system concepts of operations, the development of design criteria; ensuring quality and timeliness of completed budgets and schedules; review and approval of system acceptance and commissioning test plans; providing technical advice and assistance to facility and other PA personnel in matters related to electrical engineering; audit engineering designs performed by consultants; lead project teams in the preparation of designs including preparation of proposals, design coordination, schedule reporting, budget reporting and briefing senior staff.
- Leading multidisciplinary project teams in the preparation of electrical engineering designs including preparation of proposals, design coordination, schedule reporting, budget reporting and briefing senior staff.
- Preparing preliminary & detailed estimates and design criteria for construction of new electrical systems and for the alteration of existing structures and utility systems. Reviewing criteria including tolerances, dimensions, shapes and sizes, and determining the properties required in materials and feasible construction methods.
- Development of preliminary conceptual design work and planning for Capital Projects and Major Work Programs. Providing the client departments with design alternatives and associated cost, for future planning and funding of projects.
- Preparation of Contract Documents consisting of drawings, technical specifications, construction cost estimates, and purchase orders. Producing biddable and constructible Contract Documents to meet the requirements of the Client Department within time schedules and budgets.
- Overseeing design consultant, junior engineers and CAD personnel in the preparation of engineering drawings. Review specifications for material, equipment and construction methods and standards. Investigating and making recommendations on the type, terms and conditions of construction contracts
- Coordinating with facility personnel and other departments on suggested revisions in contract provisions and material specifications and incorporating improvements in final contracts.
- Preparing responses to bidder questions regarding contract provisions. Estimating material, equipment and labor requirements and the cost of construction and major maintenance work.
- Performing engineering design, including technical analysis and associated economic studies and making recommendations. Ensuring technical integrity, safety, efficient operation, maintainability and sound economics of the projects.
- Ensuring that projects are coordinated with other design disciplines, Line Department facilities and outside entities (manufacturer’s representatives, utilities consulting engineers and contractors).
- Preparation of scope of work and design criteria for all projects involving consultants. Audit consultant’s design and progress. Ensuring that consultant’s design conforms to scope of work, codes, P.A. standards and cost is kept within budget.
- Providing technical assistance to facilities and ensuring safe and reliable operation of facilities.
- Maintaining knowledge of State-of-the-Art technology and equipment such as power distribution systems, microprocessor-based control systems, specialized systems such as Lighting, Fire, Security, UPS, variable speed drives, etc.
- Participating in field commissioning, testing including startup and troubleshooting of Electrical systems and ensuring technical integrity, contract compliance, safety, efficient operation, maintainability, and minimum downtime of the systems.
- Providing effective guidance and supervision to assigned professional and technical staff.
- Reviewing staff performance, implementing development plans, and arranging training sessions.
- Bachelor’s Degree in electrical engineering from an accredited college or university
- A valid motor vehicle driver’s license.
- A minimum of eight (8) years of experience in professional engineering work with principal experience in electrical systems design and specification writing for commercial and industrial facilities.
- Proven ability to lead, manage, and prioritize multiple assignments with multiple disciplines.
- Demonstrated experience in problem solving, negotiations and conflict resolution skills to effectively reach sound conclusions and recommendations.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- Prior experience supervising professional and technical staff.
- Demonstrated and working knowledge of Local, State and Federal codes and standards.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to work efficiently, independently (with direct reports) and prioritize as required.
- Proficient in the use of software applications, such as AutoCAD and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Proficiency in preparing contract drawings such as power distribution single line, riser and interconnection diagrams, equipment layouts, plans, sections and standard details.
- Demonstrated experience in leading project teams in the preparation of engineering designs including preparation of proposals, design coordination, schedule reporting, budget reporting and briefing senior staff.
- Experience in preparing scope of work and design criteria for all projects involving consultants and auditing of consultant’s design and progress.
- Master’s Degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited college or university
- Licensed as a Professional Engineer in the State of New York or New Jersey
- Experience in electrical systems design including, substation design, underground power distribution, high, medium and low voltage power distribution, emergency power, electric motors and controls, grounding, lighting, lightning protection and SCADA systems.
- Experience in factory testing, field testing and commissioning of medium and low voltage power distribution system equipment
- Proficiency in performing electrical calculations such as equipment sizing, short circuit and coordination studies, voltage drop, load studies etc.
- Proficiency in the use of power analysis software such as ETAP, EZ Power and SKM Systems Analysis.
- Thorough knowledge of NFPA, NEMA, IEEE, ANSI codes and standards
- Proficiency in Bluebeam and Revit MEP.
Compensation & Benefits
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey offers a competitive salary, an outstanding benefits package and a professional environment that supports development and recognizes achievement.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the Apply Now button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume. The Port Authority of NY & NJ welcomes veteran and military spouse applications.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than $23 billion in annual wages and $80 billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.