Join one of the most diverse and innovative electrical engineering design groups with multiple specialties within the transportation sector. The Port Authority’s airports, ports, ferries, tunnels, bridges, bus terminals and rail transportation systems are important transportation links in the region. The Port Authority electrical engineering group provides engineering design services and prepares preliminary and final documents for innovative planning, design, construction and operation of the most critical electrical and electronics assets within the Port Authority (PA) facilities. The electrical engineering group is part of a multi-discipline group of engineers and other design professionals that form the Engineering Department of the Agency.
Reporting to a Principal Engineer, the Senior Electrical Engineer, Electronics will be responsible for the design of electronic systems and communications systems; supervision of technical staff and consultants in the preparation of engineering studies, master plans, preliminary and detailed system designs, design-build technical parameters and other design-build performance documents, contract drawings, technical specifications and construction cost estimates; evaluation of project scopes and system concepts of operations, the development of design criteria; ensuring quality and timeliness of completed budgets and schedules for engineering design services; specification, review and approval of system acceptance and commissioning test plans; providing technical advice and assistance to facility and other PA personnel in matters related to electronics and communications engineering; audit electronics and communications engineering designs performed by consultants; lead project teams in the preparation of designs including preparation of proposals, design coordination, schedule reporting, budget reporting and briefing senior staff.
Electronics and Communications systems are stand-alone, or integrations of multiple systems deployed via networked architectures. Systems generally include:
- Integrated Closed-Circuit Television (CCTV) Surveillance Systems
- Integrated Security Systems including Access Control and Intrusion Detection Systems
- Analog Communications including copper and fiber optic cabling
- Digital Communications with various networking and other protocols, Public Address Systems, Visual Paging Systems
- Alarm Monitoring and Control Systems.
- Land/Mobile two-way Radio
- Emergency Responder Radio Communications Systems (ERRCS) (also known as In-Building Distributed Antenna Systems (DAS)
- Radio Dispatch Console Systems
- Simulcast Radio
- Analog and Digital Trunked Radio
- Wireless Backhaul Systems
- Commercial and unlicensed Wireless Communication Systems.
- Lead multidisciplinary project teams in the preparation of engineering designs and contracts including preparation of RFP documents, proposals, design coordination, schedule reporting, budget reporting and briefing senior staff.
- Prepare preliminary and detailed criteria and estimates for new construction of Electronics and communications projects and designs for the alteration of existing electronics equipment and systems. Review criteria including tolerances, dimensions, shapes and sizes, and determines the properties required in materials and feasible construction methods.
- Development of master plans, preliminary conceptual design work and planning for Capital Projects and Major Work Programs. Provide the Client Department with design alternatives and associated cost for future planning and funding of projects.
- Preparation of Contract Documents consisting of drawings, technical specifications, construction cost estimates, and purchase orders. Produce biddable and constructible Contract Documents to meet the requirements of the Client Department within agreed upon time schedules and budgets.
- Instructs junior engineers, consultants and CAD personnel in the preparation of engineering drawings, specifications, estimates, and contractual elements of design. Reviews the writing of specifications for material, equipment and construction methods and standards. Investigates and makes recommendations on the type, terms and conditions of construction contracts.
- Confers with facility personnel and other departments on suggested revisions in contract provisions and material specifications and incorporates improvements in final contracts. Answers questions of bidders regarding contract provisions. Estimates material, equipment and labor requirements and the cost of construction and major maintenance work.
- Performs detailed system design, including technical analysis and associated economic studies and make recommendations. Ensure technical integrity, safety, efficient operation, maintainability and sound economics of the projects.
- Ensures that projects are coordinated with other disciplines, Line Department facilities and outside entities (manufacturer’s representatives, other agencies’ engineers). Minimize disruption of normal facility operations.
- Preparation of scope of work and design criteria for all projects involving consultants. Audit consultant’s design and progress. Ensure that consultant’s design conforms to scope of work, codes, PA standards and cost is kept within budget. Provide technical assistance to facilities. Ensure safe and reliable operation of facilities.
- Maintain knowledge of State-of-the-Art technology and equipment in all relevant electronics and communications systems.
- Ensure that PA facilities are designed in accordance with the most advanced and appropriate technology available.
- Participate in field commissioning, testing including startup and troubleshooting of Electronic and Communications systems. Ensure technical integrity, contract compliance safety, efficient operation, maintainability, and minimum downtime of the systems.
- Provide effective guidance and supervision to assigned professional and technical staff. Review staff, implement development plans, and provide or arrange training of assigned staff.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering with sufficient exposure to Industrial Electronics and communications systems.
- Proven ability to lead, manage, and prioritize multiple assignments with multiple disciplines.
- Demonstrated experience in problem solving, negotiations and conflict resolution skills to effectively reach sound conclusions and recommendations.
- A minimum of eight (8) years of experience in professional engineering work with principal experience in Electronic and Communications systems design for commercial and industrial facilities.
- Demonstrated experience in large complex electronics and communication system designs
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- Prior experience supervising professional and technical staff.
- Demonstrated and working knowledge of electrical codes and standards.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to work efficiently, independently (with direct reports) and prioritize as required.
- Proficient in the use of software applications such as AutoCAD, Revit MEP and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Demonstrated experience in leading project teams in the preparation of engineering designs including preparation of proposals, design coordination, schedule reporting, budget reporting and briefing senior staff.
- Experience in preparing scope of work and design criteria for all projects involving consultants and auditing of consultant’s design and progress.
- Master’s Degree in Electrical/Electronic Engineering
- Licensed as a Professional Engineer in the State of New York or New Jersey
- Demonstrated design experience must include projects with multiple systems with networked architectures, including Integrated CCTV, Integrated Security including Access Control and Intrusion Detection, Analog Communications including fiber optics, Digital communications with various protocols and networking, and Alarm/Control systems. Relevant reliability and sizing calculations, preparation of contractual documents with drawings, specifications and construction estimates.
Compensation & Benefits
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey offers a competitive salary, an outstanding benefits package and a professional environment that supports development and recognizes achievement.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the Apply Now button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume. The Port Authority of NY & NJ welcomes veteran and military spouse applications.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than $23 billion in annual wages and $80 billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.