The Port Authority of NY & NJ is seeking to fill skilled-trade GENERAL MAINTAINERS
in various NY Facilities. The temporary General Maintainer position is often the entry-point for many maintenance career paths at the Port Authority.
General Maintainers are general laborers who are responsible for variety of manual and semi-skilled construction trades for the Building Construction/General Maintainer (GM) position. General Maintainers will carry-out critical maintenance work that enable our facilities to remain safe and operational for the traveling public.
General Maintainers perform work that typically requires the knowledge of the following trade fields:
- Snow removal for commercial property
- Structural and mechanical maintenance
- Knowledge of materials, tools, blueprint reading and equipment of these trades
General Maintainers work a 40-hour week, which includes rotating shifts, nights, weekends, holidays, during inclement weather and overtime as needed.
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- High School Diploma or GED from an accredited institution
- Two (2) years of journey-level work experience in the building construction, general laborer fields
- Valid driver license with the ability to obtain a Commercial Driver License (CDL) Class B permit before the first day of work
Applicants should refer to the following website for further information on obtaining a CDL and medical clearance for CDL licensing: http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/drivertopics/cdl.htm
Selected candidates will be subject to a comprehensive background check and will be asked to provide copies of the required licenses for verification.
Compensation & Benefits:
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey offers a competitive salary, an outstanding benefits package and a professional environment that supports development and recognizes achievement.Starting Salary:
$22.50 hourly. This is a temporary position that offers health benefits and the possibility of permanent employment. Permanent General Maintainers are eligible for annual step increases up to $38.59 per hour (subject to collective bargaining agreement).
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the Apply Now button and submitting a resume and answering the subsequent questions.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted via email for testing.
- Selected qualified applicants will be invited to participate in a written exam designed to measure a candidate's knowledge in Building Construction and Maintenance trades areas such as: Carpentry, Painting, Plumbing, Drywall, Masonry, Tool Identification/Usage, Safety Procedures, and Trade Math/Measurement (including addition, subtraction, multiplication, division of whole numbers, fractions and decimals, and calculation of measurements based on the reading of show drawings/schematics and rulers).
- Successful written-test candidates will be invited to participate in a hands-on practical exam to demonstrate professional trade practices for this job title. The performance exam will measure the candidate's knowledge, skill and ability to work with tools, equipment, and materials used in building construction/maintenance and repair.
- The practical exam includes:
- Climbing a stationary ladder and demonstrating your ability to work at heights
- Constructing a piping project from a drawing by cutting and threading steel pipe and cutting and sweating copper pipe
- Building a wood frame using standard lumber following the specifications from a shop drawing
- Measuring, cutting, hanging, taping and painting a sheetrock wall following a shop drawing
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the "Apply Now" button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume. The Port Authority of NY & NJ welcomes veteran and military spouse applications.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority:
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than $23 billion in annual wages and $80 billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.