The Port Authority offers paid summer internships to students that provide the opportunity to work with knowledgeable and experienced professionals on assignments critical to operating, maintaining, and expanding the transportation infrastructure for one of the greatest economies in the world.
Assignments include hands-on projects to cultivate technical, writing, communication and team-building skills. The diversity of our businesses creates a variety of opportunities for students to gain exposure to the work of a first-class public agency
The Aviation department is looking for a summer intern to join their team in the Newark Airport Structural Integrity unit! Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assisting with the performance of condition surveys on various airport structures. Conduct field surveys, prepare reports of findings, recommend corrective actions for short and long-term repairs, and interact with Engineering Department staff
- Development of structural designs, calculations, and AutoCAD drawings for various airport facilities.
- Develop scope of work and prepare preliminary cost estimates for facility projects.
- Assisting with the management of the airport’s facility budget.
About the Aviation Department:
- The Port Authority of NY & NJ operates one of the world’s busiest airport systems. In 2018, we served about 138.8 million passengers at our four commercial airports—John F. Kennedy International, Newark Liberty International, LaGuardia and New York Stewart International—and entered an unprecedented phase in the multi-billion dollar redevelopment program under way at these airports. We broke ground and marked milestones across the system as we prepare to deliver enhanced, modern, state-of-the-art facilities for years to come.
- Our Mission is to plan, develop, provide, promote, operate and maintain a unified system of safe and secure regional airport facilities, providing the region with unsurpassed global access and restoring the region to its preeminent status as the nation’s gateway for passengers and cargo and to do so with sensitively for the community and the environment.
- Our Priorities are to work with a mindset of public service, seeking to continually improve our customers’ experiences and better anticipate and meet the needs of the public and the region.
- Our operations are carried out with a deep commitment to the safety and security of our employees, the public, and the world-class facilities in our care.
- We value our people by honoring diversity, developing and investing in staff, and providing a work environment where all can thrive.
- Through the development of staff, world-class facilities, and by exploring and adopting global best practices in technology, sustainability, and customer service, we express our commitment to industry excellence and innovation.
- We are stewards of the environment we operate in and the resources we use, and strive to build a more sustainable and resilient airport system while minimizing impact on neighboring communities.
- Students must be enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program for the upcoming Fall 2022 school semester.
- We are seeking interns who are talented, driven and who have a genuine interest in contributing to the success of the New York/New Jersey region.
- We welcome applications from a diverse range of University disciplines and concentrations.
- Successful candidates will be self-starters with excellent communication, research and applicable technical skills.
- Undergraduate student majoring in Civil Engineering or Structural Engineering.
- Basic understanding of AutoCAD is preferred, but not required.
This will be a hybrid internship opportunity, meaning that it will be virtual and in-person throughout the summer.
*This internship is expected to be a full time internship lasting 12 weeks.
How to Apply
- To apply, please click on the ‘Apply Now’ button.
- Please be sure to complete all steps of the application process and click Submit at the end.
- Applicants will receive a generated confirmation email upon application completion.
- To be considered for the position you must respond to the essay question below.
- All applicants must answer all prompted questions and essay.
- Please upload your response and resume as one document in the section of the online. application that prompts you to upload your resume.
- Your essay response cannot exceed 150 words.
Applications that do not include a resume and essay response will be considered incomplete and will not be moved forward in the selection process.
Essay Question: Why do you want to work as a Summer Intern for the Port Authority of NY & NJ?
The application deadline is February 1 at 6:00pm EST. You will not be able to apply after this date.
- Interview Process: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and interviews will be conducted in March-April.
- Program Start Date: The Summer Internship Program is slated to begin June 2, 2022
The Selection Process:
- Please note that more than one department may contact students to interview.
- Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
- Interns are selected based on academic achievement, analytical and communication skills, and work experience.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the "Apply Now" button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume. The Port Authority of NY & NJ welcomes veteran and military spouse applications.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority:
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than $23 billion in annual wages and $80 billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.