This job posting is no longer active.
The Port Authority offers paid summer internships to students that provide the opportunity to work with knowledgeable and experienced professionals on assignments critical to operating, maintaining, and expanding the transportation infrastructure for one of the greatest economies in the world.
Assignments include hands-on projects to cultivate technical, writing, communication and team-building skills. The diversity of our businesses creates a variety of opportunities for students to gain exposure to the work of a first-class public agency
The Tunnels, Bridges & Terminals department is looking for a summer intern to join their team in the Regional E-ZPass – Customer Service Center unit! Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Cleaning and organizing data received from vendors to be shown in a consistent format
- Analyzing existing monthly key performance indicators and develop recommendations to improving the following under the successor contract: analysis of historical trends, performance degradation against contractual service level agreements, and highlight key insights
- Creating replicable and automatic data visualizations, performance dashboards and models for project tracking.
- Creating project tracking tool to forecast deliverables and highlighting potential project delays
- Creating a process to track all comments from stakeholders to closure during the design phase of the project.
- Providing status reports on contractors’ adherence to the project schedule
- Analyzing contractual key performance indicators and service level agreements to confirm they are measurable and calculable.
- Additionally, the intern will have the option to participate in site visits.
About the Tunnels, Bridges and Terminals Department:
- The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey is one of many agencies that collect tolls from customers using a number of different methods, including a transponder based electronic toll collection (ETC) system known as E-ZPass and cashless, image-based license plate tolling known as Tolls by Mail.
- TB&T connects the road networks of NY and NJ through tunnels, bridges, and interstate bus terminals that permit people and goods to move safely, efficiently, and conveniently while generating net income for the PA’s ongoing operations and investment needs.
- The resulting toll transactions are transmitted to and processed for payment by the New York Customer Service Center (NYCSC) system. The NYCSC currently provides services including account management, payment processing, customer contact, violation processing, transponder distribution, and invoicing for Tolls by Mail Bills associated with Cashless Tolling. The PANYNJ, along with NYSTA and the TBTA each currently contracts with a jointly selected single vendor to perform all NYCSC systems and operations work, including customer contact.
- The Authorities wish to leverage changes and opportunities in the financial transaction processing and customer contact industries to take advantage of best-in-class services and specialization that are available. As a result, the work previously covered under the single NYCSC contract will be split among up to four contracts.
- The TB&T E-ZPass Customer Service Center Group oversees the succession of the current contract vendor to the four different contracts. The project data analyst intern will serve a critical role in our group. The selected individual will be responsible for developing an effective structure/system for how the TB&T E-ZPass CSC group handles and manages data for the incoming vendors of the succeeding New York Customer Service Center.
- Students must be enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program for the upcoming Fall 2022 school semester.
- We are seeking interns who are talented, driven and who have a genuine interest in contributing to the success of the New York/New Jersey region.
- We welcome applications from a diverse range of University disciplines and concentrations.
- Successful candidates will be self-starters with excellent communication, research and applicable technical skills.
- The interested candidate should be creative and comfortable with cleaning, handling, analyzing and reporting data.
- Familiarity with PowerBI is a desired, but not required.
- The candidate should also possess political acumen as they may be interfacing with multiple vendors, consultants, and agency partners.
This will be a hybrid internship opportunity, meaning that it will be virtual and in-person throughout the summer.
*This internship is expected to be a full-time internship lasting 12 weeks.
How to Apply
- To apply, please click on the ‘Apply Now’ button.
- Please be sure to complete all steps of the application process and click Submit at the end.
- Applicants will receive a generated confirmation email upon application completion.
- To be considered for the position you must respond to the essay question below.
- All applicants must answer all prompted questions and essay.
- Please upload your response and resume as one document in the section of the online. application that prompts you to upload your resume.
- Your essay response cannot exceed 150 words.
Applications that do not include a resume and essay response will be considered incomplete and will not be moved forward in the selection process.
Essay Question: Why do you want to work as a Summer Intern for the Port Authority of NY & NJ?
The application deadline is February 1 at 6:00pm EST. You will not be able to apply after this date.
- Interview Process: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and interviews will be conducted in March-April.
- Program Start Date: The Summer Internship Program is slated to begin June 2, 2022
The Selection Process:
- Please note that more than one department may contact students to interview.
- Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
- Interns are selected based on academic achievement, analytical and communication skills, and work experience.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the "Apply Now" button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume. The Port Authority of NY & NJ welcomes veteran and military spouse applications.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority:
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than $23 billion in annual wages and $80 billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.