The Aviation Department of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey is currently seeking a motivated and experienced Terminals Commercial Manager to manage terminal operator and terminal developer relationships and leasing matters for the terminals at John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) and to lead other terminal-based commercial initiatives. As the Aviation Department evolves to a new tenant governance model and major redevelopment programs advance at JFK, the successful candidate will have a unique opportunity to be part of the team that shapes the airport’s future.
About JFK Airport Passenger Terminals – In 2019 JFK’s 6 independently operated passenger terminals with 131 gates served more than 28 million domestic and 34 million international passengers, and 80 airlines going to 170 nonstop destinations. Based on a master planning effort resulting in a 2017 “Vision Plan” for modernization and upgrade of JFK Airport and its terminal facilities, the Port Authority has advanced plans for redevelopment of common infrastructure and has worked with various stakeholders for the upgrade and expansion of passenger terminals.
Under the direction of the Aviation Commercial Officer (ACO), the guidance of the JFK General Manager and Deputy Commercial Officer (DCO), and in coordination with the Manager of JFK Properties & Commercial Development and Manager, Airport Concessions and Strategic Customer Experience, the selected candidate will be responsible for the overall commercial management of the passenger terminals at JFK including the oversight of administration of terminal leases and other terminal related agreements with operators and subtenants, the maintenance of effective relationships with terminal operators, assessment and enforcement of compliance with lease and other agreements requirements including monitoring key performance indicators associated with service level agreements. The Commercial Manager also leads ancillary initiatives and negotiations that support terminal activities. The Commercial Manager supports Aviation Customer Experience staff in discussions with terminal operators for implementation of standards by them and their subtenants to improve the customer experience at JFK as measured by Airport Service Quality (ASQ) surveys and other measures of passenger satisfaction.
The selected candidate will be responsible for:
- Assists, or leads in coordination with, the ACO and DCO in the negotiations of terminal lease agreements and extensions through participation throughout the negotiations process including research regarding airports best commercial and financial practices to inform the preparation of business terms and operational framework.
- Leads, in coordination with the ACO, DCO and Assistant Director Aviation Development (ADAD) and the JFK Manager, Properties and Commercial Development, the development of commercial strategies, and guides implementation plans, for projects and development ancillary to terminal operations.
- Coordinates with the JFK’s Manager of Properties & Commercial Development in the oversight of JFK Properties’ staff review, negotiation, and coordination of appropriate consents to sublease agreements among the Port Authority, the airlines and the terminal operators including consistency with approved Comprehensive Airline Leasing Plans.
- Coordinates with the Manager, Airport Concessions and Strategic Customer Experience in the oversight of Concession’s staff review, negotiation, and coordination of appropriate consents to sublease agreements among the Port Authority, concessionaires or concession managers, and the terminal operators including consistency with approved Comprehensive Concession Plans.
- Coordinates with the Real Estate Department and the Manager Airport Concessions and Strategic Customer Experience to facilitate the implementation of the advertising program within terminals.
- Monitoring, in collaboration with Aviation Customer Experience staff and Manager Airport Concessions, the terminal operators’ compliance with lease requirements and service level agreements to promote provision of world-class customer service; and the provision of top-notch retail and food and beverage concessions in accordance with contractual obligations including Street Pricing and Value for Money Options.
- Monitoring, in collaboration with the Office of Diversity & Inclusion staff and Manager Airport Concessions, the terminal operators’ compliance with lease requirements with respect to diversity and inclusion requirements such as M/WBE, ACDBE, and local participation.
- Reviews and manages Port Authority approval to any changes to terminal operators’ key contracts including management service agreements and operating agreements.
- Coordinate with JFK Redevelopment regarding agreements and discussions with terminal developers and related parties as needed to facilitate terminal development and design review of tenant construction and alteration process (TCAP) applications and maintenance letters.
- Collaborate with Aviation Customer Experience to liaison with terminal operators in the implementation of JFK One Vision and customer experience and participation in employee recognition programs.
- Under the direction of the JFK GM and Deputy GM, assists as necessary in obtaining terminal operator compliance with operational directives including participation in the Airport Operations Center, the airport safety committee.
- Facilitates Key Performance Indicator and Performance Management Plans reviews with the appropriate PANYNJ personnel and manages the administration of applicable lease provisions relating to Performance Measurement and Standards.
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university.
- Knowledge of aviation industry
- At least 7 years of experience in the negotiation and management of large, complex lease agreements, property management, commercial development and/or revenue strategies
- Experience in developing service level agreements and managing large contracts with key performance indicators (KPIs) or performance standards.
- Performance and/or understanding of financial analysis as related to real estate transactions.
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
- Master’s degree in Aviation Management, Business Administration, Finance, Real Estate, or a related field.
- Knowledge of airport terminal commercial operations, including concessions and airline operations.
- Knowledge of the airport tenant construction and alteration processes and requirements.
- Knowledge of airport customer service programs and initiatives, and the ability to establish customer service goals for terminal operations and to develop performance measures to assess progress in achieving those goals.
- Demonstrated experience in adapting to the demands of concurrently handling multiple diverse situations and operating effectively in the face of uncertainty and change.
- Demonstrated experience working collectively as a team in the implementation of company goals and objectives.
- Strong analytical, problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Ability to create, investigate and interpret complex financial analyses
- Proven track record to perform effectively under pressure and to resolve conflict constructively.
- Ability to develop a strategic vision and comprehensive plans and objectives for complex business and real property negotiations and leasing agreements.
- Demonstrated experience successfully directing all aspects of commercial strategic planning.
- Knowledge of the commercial development real estate industry, including finance principles and the ability to apply these principles in analyzing business proposals. Demonstrated experience in developing and fostering internal and external relationships
- Experience in creating and giving effective presentations to executive staff
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent decision making, problem solving, conflict negotiation, and communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to interact effectively with the workforce at all levels as well as external constituents.
- High level of integrity and dependability with ability to think on both a strategic and tactical level to develop long-term achievable plans.
- Capable of aligning professional goals with the needs and priorities of the organization.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with demonstrated experience in making effective presentations to executive staff.
Compensation & Benefits
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey offers a competitive salary, an outstanding benefits package and a professional environment that supports development and recognizes achievement.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the Apply Now button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume. The Port Authority of NY & NJ welcomes veteran and military spouse applications.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than $23 billion in annual wages and $80 billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.