The Aviation Department of the Port Authority of NY & NJ seeks a dynamic and effective leader to be the Manager, Aeronautical (Airside) Operations at Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR).
About Newark Liberty International Airport – Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR) is among the busiest international and North American airports. EWR supports approximately 197,000 jobs in the region and generates over $29 billion dollars in economic activity. In 2019, EWR served upwards of 45,000,000 passengers arriving and departing on over 450,000 flights amongst 35+ airlines across 3 different terminals.
Under the direction of the Manager, Airport Operations, the Manager, Aeronautical (Airside) Operations will:
- Manage a team of unionized Operations and Supervisory staff, as well as non-union management staff to ensure the safe, secure, and efficient operation of the aeronautical area at EWR
- Ensure the infrastructure (runways, taxiways, ramps, navigational aids, airfield lighting, airfield markings, airfield pavement, etc.) are maintained and operated in compliance with Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Part 139 regulations. This requires tracking and following up on necessary maintenance items and all safety related issues
- Coordinate with various Port Authority (PA) staff to obtain necessary resources that support the mission of the Aeronautical Operations unit
- Communicate with FAA, Transportation Security Administration (TSA), Airlines, Ground Handling Companies, and other Airport Stakeholders to ensure safety is maintained as capital programs change the operating environment.
- Keep stakeholders informed of any proposed construction and potential impacts to their operations and help devise solutions to keep the operation running normally throughout the work
- Manage the unit’s budget, report monthly discrepancies, and make necessary adjustments to keep expenses within budget tolerances
- Manage and direct aeronautical functions and programs involving airside operations, airport self-inspection, aeronautical construction, wildlife hazard management, snow and ice control, aircraft emergency response, efficient surface movement, FOD control, Airfield Driver Training and coordination and dissemination of information to the airport community
- Manage the preparation and administration of contracts involving aeronautical operations, including necessary audit functions and oversee contractor performance
- Perform various administrative activities associated with the management of a large staff, including but not limited to ensuring key-to-key positions are covered, gaining approval for all overtime necessary to safely run the operation, and acting as the Division Manager in the absence of the Manager, Airport Operations
- Must maintain effective working relationships with airport tenants, governmental agencies, airline station managers, aviation industry representatives and the local airport staff.
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Aviation Management, Aeronautical Science, Aeronautics, Business Administration, Transportation, or related field
- Minimum of three (3) years people management experience with the ability to manage, develop and motivate diverse teams to achieve high performance
- Minimum of 3 (three) years’ experience managing airport operations/airport compliance regulations with Federal Aviation Regulations (FAR) and Advisory Circulars, particularly, those related to the operation of airports including Part 139
- Proven track record of success with FAR 139 Airport Certification Inspections
- Experience in airport operations and demonstrated knowledge of Air Traffic Control, airline, and aircraft policies procedures and practices.
- Experience compiling, analyzing, and interpreting data related to operational performance measures, utilizing Microsoft Office, SAP, or other systems.
- Valid driver’s license
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
- Demonstrated knowledge of incident command systems, emergency management response, and emergency preparedness
- Demonstrated knowledge of TSA regulations, security directives and emergency amendments
- Familiarity and experience with complex airport construction projects.
- Experience managing vendors and contracts
- Experience managing airport snow removal activities
- Ability to effectively interact with all levels of airport management staff and Port Authority Departments (i.e., Port Authority Police, Engineering, Project Management, Technology, Operations Services).
- Familiarity with Port Authority policies and procedures
- Ability to bring diverse groups together to meet single goal
- Customer focused and team oriented with motivational skills
Compensation & Benefits
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey offers a competitive salary, an outstanding benefits package and a professional environment that supports development and recognizes achievement.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the Apply Now button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume. The Port Authority of NY & NJ welcomes veteran and military spouse applications.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than $23 billion in annual wages and $80 billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.