The Aviation Department of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey is currently seeking an experienced Assistant Manager, Airport Maintenance reporting to the Manager, Airport Maintenance. The successful candidate will oversee the day-to-day airport maintenance operation and business aspect of the John F. Kennedy International Airport. The Assistant Manager, Airport Maintenance will interface and liaise with various departments within the agency to help the airport remain in compliance with Federal Aviation Regulation 139 and to become a World Class Airport. The Assistant Manager, Airport Maintenance will also be part of a team transforming JFK into a modern 21st Century Airport and will be able to contribute to one of the busiest airports in the nation. The airport handles nearly 62 million passengers a year, supports 280,000 jobs, and generates more than $51 billion in sales and $17.1 billion in wages. It is an essential component of the world’s air transportation system and a regional economic driver.
Reporting to the Manager, Airport Maintenance, the incumbent will assist in the management of the division by performing the following:
- Support the day-to-day operation
- Oversee the creation and implementation and improvement of facility maintenance practices including the implementation and commissioning of a new maintenance management information system
- Identify, assess, and facilitate airport maintenance priorities
- Coordinate work efforts with other airport units/tenants
- Advise/direct senior maintenance field supervisors in the Electrical, Mechanical, Structural, Environmental and Contract Services Units in a wide range of labor, performance, financial, planning, training, and administrative activities
- Oversee the development and management of contracts, coordinate maintenance activities during snow, develop/monitor budgets
- Assume complete responsibility for the management of the division in the absence of the Manager or during airport emergencies that result in split shifts
- Manage facility maintenance operations, union agreements, employee discipline and grievance procedures, procurement procedures and authorization processes including Agenda Items, MJ’s and MA’s
- Effective and proper compliance with PA administrative policies and procedures
- Develop and monitor budgets including utilization of SAP, PeopleSoft and contract development, authorization, preparation, and compliance.
- Must respond to airport emergencies and inclement weather conditions, including snow alerts without delay on a 24-hour, seven-day per week basis, including weekends and holidays.
- This position requires rotating shifts inclusive but not limited to nights, overnights, and weekends.
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position
- Bachelor’s degree in Aviation, Transportation, Planning, Engineering, Business, Public Administration, or a related field from an accredited college or university.
- In Lieu of a degree we will accept a minimum 10 years of Aviation Operations, Transportation, or similar experience
- At least 3 years of experience in aviation, transportation, maintenance, or related business field in a large, complex operating environment.
- Strong leadership capability, demonstrated through the ability to manage, develop, and motivate diverse teams to achieve high performance.
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license.
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
- Ability to supervise in a union environment at an operating facility.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, plan and delegate multi-task work assignments and assess training and development needs.
- Demonstrated ability to prepare and analyze financial data and other management reporting tools.
- Excellent oral, written and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to foster good teamwork and cooperation with other Port Authority staff and operating units, tenants, contractors, passengers, and the public.
- Must be proficient in computer systems: Word, Excel, Peoplesoft, Outlook, BudgetPro and SAP.
- Ability to supervise large groups of individuals performing skilled and unskilled technical functions in a demanding environment.
- Understand and develop asset management, total life cycling concepts and apply them to the JFK Maintenance operation.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the Apply Now button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume. The Port Authority of NY & NJ welcomes veteran and military spouse applications.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than $23 billion in annual wages and $80 billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.