The Sr. Engineering of Projects (Sr. EoP) is the Engineering Department’s primary point of contact with the Line Departments to ensure scopes align with associated schedules and budgets throughout all stages of a project.
Reporting to the Chief of Engineering Project Delivery, the Senior Engineer of Projects manages a team of Engineer or Projects (EOPs) responsible for coordinating budgets and schedules for all Engineering deliverables related to the Agency’s Capital and Operating programs. The Sr. EOP is responsible for working with the entire Engineering team to proactively identify and mitigate project ‘red flags’ to minimize scope changes and deliver projects on-time and within budget. The Sr. EOP leads the Engineering team in partnership with the Line Departments on Capital Plan delivery through participation in activities related to project plan development (Enhanced Stage I), state-of- good repair prioritization, and development of pre- Stage I order- of- magnitude estimates. The Sr. EOP sets guidance on the procedures, standards, and guidelines to establish consistent work plans, budgets, business rules and project development for the successful delivery of engineering projects.
Responsibilities also include:
- Overall responsibility for the performance of the design and construction teams, including oversight of project budgets and schedules. This will include assuring project scoping is delivered in accordance with Line Department requests, major design milestones are met, and construction is delivered according to contractual schedule and budget
- Reporting to Executive staff, as required, on project progress, issues and actions and schedule and budget status
- For major redevelopment programs, assist in the procurement of construction contracts or alternate contracting strategies (PPP, Design Build, etc.) by providing advisory services during the document preparation, bid and award of the construction management agreement and construction contracts.
- Collaborate with Line Department counterparts the coordination of Engineering support for project categorization, prioritization, planning, design, construction, and asset management.
- Lead the progress of the assigned portfolio and report the status of schedules and budgets. Provide regular updates on major program progress.
- Lead the reporting of Engineering Department resource expenditures, related to major programs, to ensure adequate soft cost allocations and tracking for major programs.
- Lead Engineering team to prepare project proposals and revisions. Provide oversight of engineering delivery from design through construction closeout.
- Ensure prompt and effective communication between staff during the design and construction phases, and report to key stakeholders including the Line Department and Chief Engineer’s Office.
- Lead the Chief Engineer’s Office on the preparation Board and CPOC items including project authorizations associated with major programs.
- Work with Design, Construction and the Line Departments on contracting and management strategies for the most efficient project delivery.
- Attend meetings with various internal and external stakeholders as the Engineering Department representative in order to advance the interests of the program while fostering improved cooperative relationships with all groups.
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- A minimum of ten (10) years’ experience in progressively more responsible positions in the development and delivery of A/E projects.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or Architecture from an accredited college or university
- Demonstrated experience managing work groups of Engineers and/or Architects.
- Substantive knowledge of Port Authority policies and procedures related to management systems, administration, the capital authorization and agenda review processes and document control.
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
- Demonstrated experience working on capital projects.
- Demonstrated experience with capital projects that involve significant design and construction elements including the monitoring and reporting of cost forecasts against budgets and the management of project schedules.
- Demonstrated experience in management, engineering design, and/or construction fields including establishment of plans, setting priorities, and incorporating facility requirements into project plans.
- Proven ability to work on fast paced projects of significant complexity and risk and effectively utilize limited available resources to achieve complex goals.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the principles, methods and tools for developing, scheduling, coordinating, estimating, and managing resources, including monitoring work.
- Demonstrated experience in managing and influencing diverse work groups and project teams.
- Demonstrated customer service, decision-making, problem solving and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of capital planning and assessment, procurement, project planning and development, and risk management protocols.
- Demonstrated ability to develop strategies to achieve broad business goals and to understand the impact on various stakeholders within and outside the Port Authority.
- Possess strong interpersonal, leadership, negotiation and problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Thorough knowledge of Engineering’s delivery process including design and construction management, construction estimating and project budgeting and scheduling
- Knowledge and understanding of the Capital and Operating authorization processes.
- Demonstrated experience with alternative procurement strategies.
- Registered Professional Engineer or Architect in the State of New York or New Jersey.
- Knowledge of management systems and platforms including PDPS, Wintrak, Primavera (P6 Schedules, Contract Manager, and Risk Analysis) as well as corporate systems such as People Soft and SAP, is a plus.
Compensation & Benefits
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey offers a competitive salary, an outstanding benefits package and a professional environment that supports development and recognizes achievement.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the Apply Now button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume. The Port Authority of NY & NJ welcomes veteran and military spouse applications.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than $23 billion in annual wages and $80 billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.