The Port of New York and New Jersey is the gateway to one of the most concentrated consumer markets in North America. It is the largest port on the East Coast, and the third largest in the nation. Our ability to get goods into the hands of consumers quickly gives us our competitive edge along with receiving the most first port of calls, 72%, than any other East Coast port.
We are looking for dynamic, highly motivated, and energetic individual responsible for driving sales for the Marine Terminals. This individual will report directly to the Assistant Director, Commercial Development. The Manager, Business Development, and Industry Relations is fully responsible driving the Port Department’s strategic business development, international and domestic marketing, and trade development programs. The successful candidate will also support the external maritime relations and communications, and customer outreach programs.
Reporting to the Assistant Director, Commercial Development, the incumbent will be responsible for:
- Leading the Port Department’s strategic business development, international and domestic marketing and trade development programs, external maritime relations and communications, and customer outreach programs.
- Attracting and retaining business at Port Authority container, auto, bulk, rail, and cruise facilities by developing marketing programs, services and products that will enhance revenues, improve customer service, and promote the use of the Port of New York and New Jersey.
- Managing executive stakeholder relationships domestically and internationally including shippers, ocean carriers, tenants, the trucking industry, Class I railroads, and other transportation/logistics service providers involved in trade, commerce, and investment.
- Recommending departmental policy and business direction based on staff analysis of economic, business, governmental, and maritime industry trends, issues, and actions.
- Coordinating customer outreach and communication programs, including contribution to press releases, briefings to public officials and communities, newsletters, brochures, and other collateral. Maintain the content of the Port website and develop strategies for the use of technology and public media platforms to help promote the Port.
- Developing and executing business development plans and initiatives to highlight the benefits of shipping through the Port of New York and New Jersey and to improve the Port’s competitive position as a major gateway for diversified international commerce.
- Managing all aspects of the Foreign Trade Zone No. 49 program.
- Developing and maintaining key performance indicators for the Port Department and for the portfolio of business activity managed by the department.
- Formulating and executing customer service programs including analyzing satisfaction among tenants and customers of the Port and developing and implementing approaches to improve customer service levels.
- Providing oversight, direction, and career development to staff in the Unit.
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university in Marketing, International Business, Marine Transportation, Transportation/Logistics Management, Business, or similar related field.
- Minimum of Fifteen (15) years of experience in the shipping/cargo transportation industry with extensive background and concentration on business development for port terminals, container, and auto trade.
- Ability to communicate complex information effectively to all levels of management both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to manage conflicts and facilitate problem solving and collaboration among various stakeholders.
- The selected candidate will be required to pass a Federal Security Background Check and obtain a Transportation Workers Identification Credential (TWIC) to work in a maritime environment as required by the US Department of Homeland Security.
The ideal candidate should possess the following qualifications:
- Demonstrated range of in-depth business, technical and industry expertise.
- Extensive contacts domestically and internationally in the maritime sectors listed above.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically/globally.
- Demonstrated experience leading and managing a multifunctional team of professionals.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of all Microsoft Applications and Salesforce.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex business, technical, financial, legal and political issues in a manner that engenders confidence, trust and support; experience preparing formal presentations, and the ability to communicate a leadership message that instills a strong customer service message.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in cross-cultural affairs.
- Proven leadership through influence, persuasion, and effective working relationships both within the organization, and with outside interests and stakeholders demonstrating an understanding of how to balance positive working relationships with all stakeholders consistent with Port Authority business objectives.
- Demonstrated analytical skills.
- Ability to travel. Frequently for 2-3 nights domestically and max twice a year internationally for 2 weeks.
Compensation & Benefits
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey offers a competitive salary, an outstanding benefits package and a professional environment that supports development and recognizes achievement.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the Apply Now button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume. The Port Authority of NY & NJ welcomes veteran and military spouse applications.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than $23 billion in annual wages and $80 billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.