The Port Authority offers 12-week paid summer internships to students that provide the opportunity to work with knowledgeable and experienced professionals on assignments critical to operating, maintaining, and expanding the transportation infrastructure for one of the greatest economies in the world.
Assignments include hands-on projects to cultivate technical, writing, communication and team-building skills. The diversity of our businesses creates a variety of opportunities for students to gain exposure to the work of a first-class public agency.
The Community Outreach department is looking for a summer intern to join their Special Projects team! Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Assist Sr. Community Outreach Specialist with administration of A NEW LGA website, including the following:
- Identify content for uploading to the website and ensure correct formatting and efficient transfer to PA Tech Point of Contact (POC)
- Check website to affirm requested postings are made.
- Secure content for uploading to website in advance of planned changes to traffic patterns, construction, holiday marketing plans, events, etc.
- Document requirements for changing features, adding/removing pages, etc. to the website.
- Establish implementation priorities.
- Facilitate the approval process for adding content.
- Proofread and edit copy for all web content.
- Identify press releases and new graphic content for uploading to website.
Assist with administration of CRM (Customer Relationship Management) software, becoming familiar with features used by the Community Outreach Department.
- Participate in migration of customer data and contact information from legacy system.
- Work with graphic designer, as needed, to assist with creating new campaigns.
- Assist with creating reports requested by management.
- Support department staff with questions about use of software.
- Explore additional features to identify expanding use for Community Outreach Department.
Assist Sr. Community Outreach Specialist with Marine Air Terminal exhibit program, including the following:
- Research and identify alternatives for creating exhibits for the benefit of visitors and community members.
- Assist with creating content narratives and making photo/graphic selections.
- Coordinate creation and approval of final exhibit version, working with PA Creative Services Department.
- Coordinate approval process within LGA.
- Facilitate delivery of exhibit panels to LGA Maintenance.
- Assist with creating marketing materials to promote opening of exhibit.
- Assist with managing any public opening events and receptions.
- Students must be enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program for the upcoming Fall 2020 school semester.
- We are seeking interns who are talented, driven and who have a genuine interest in contributing to the success of the New York/New Jersey region.
- We welcome applications from a diverse range of University disciplines and concentrations.
- Successful candidates will be self-starters with excellent communication, research and applicable technical skills.
- College student or graduate.
- Experienced in use of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Self-motivated and able to work collaboratively as well as independently.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work with a range of stakeholders, including community members, Port Authority Management, Staff and elected officials.
About the Program
- Interns have the opportunity to support their departments with critical projects such as analyzing regional demand data for our airports, conducting interview assessments, development of our annual budget, designing sustainability initiatives, and developing operational plans for retail development.
- On the job, learning is supported by networking sessions with senior management, intern meet and greets and facility tours; broadening your understanding of the agency.
How To Apply
- To apply, please click on the ‘Apply Now’ button.
- Please be sure to complete all steps of the application process and click Submit at the end.
- Applicants will receive a generated confirmation email upon application completion.
- To be considered for the position you must respond to the essay question below.
- All applicants must answer all prompted questions and essay.
- Please upload your response and resume as one document in the section of the online. application that prompts you to upload your resume.
- Your essay response cannot exceed 150 words.
Applications that do not include a resume and essay response will be considered incomplete and will not be moved forward in the selection process.
Essay Question: Why do you want to work as a Summer Intern for the Port Authority of NY & NJ?
The application deadline is January 24, 2020; 11:59 p.m. EST. You will not be able to apply after this date.
- Interview Process: The hiring department/unit conducts interviews in late January and the process will continue until offers are made to selected candidates (February-May).
- Program Start Date: The Summer Internship Program is slated to begin May 28, 2020 and runs until mid-August.
The Selection Process:
- Please note that more than one department may contact students to interview.
- Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
- Interns are selected based on academic achievement, analytical and communication skills, and work experience.
About The Port Authority
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than $23 billion in annual wages and $80 billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.