The Port Department is looking for a Staff Port Sales Supervisor who will be charged with developing and maintaining relationships with key maritime customers throughout the Mid-West region. selected candidate will be responsible for the management of the Mid-West Region. In this role you will establish or build relations with beneficial cargo owners and other port related interest, with a clear focus on increasing discretionary cargo transiting the he NYNJ gateway. Development and execution of marketing programs, business initiatives and attendance at major industry conference and events will be required for future success.
- The position will manage the geographical area of the Mid-West Region.
- Develop new inland import/export opportunities with BCO, NVOCC, VOCC, Forwarders and Brokers in the assigned area.
- Provide timely information to the departments senior management on beneficial cargo owner routing decisions, development of distribution facilities and other pertinent information related to discretionary cargo.
- Synthesize information garnered from industry contacts and experience into actionable items by the Department to improve the Port’s competitive position and level of customer service
- Establish a presence at local, regional, and major industry functions or events.
- Give marketing presentations in a direct face to face and public speaking opportunities.
- Identify improvements to port facilities and or services recommendation that could lead to new business opportunities for the Port Authority and its tenants. Focus will be on inland discretionary cargo.
- Prepare quarterly reports on salient issues that may impact the Port’s competitive position or level of customer service related to discretionary cargo.
- Candidate will be required to use Microsoft office products to, report, present, and communicate. The Port Authority also utilizes a CRM (Salesforce) system to manage customer and or industry information.
In this role you will be expected to travel regularly throughout the assigned territory in the Mid-West and attend quarterly meetings in the New York office or NYNJ Port Facilities.
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably with a concentration in international business, marine transportation, marine operations, logistics, intermodal transportation, or other related field
- Minimum of five years of relevant experience in the shipping industry in operations and sales
- Selected candidate will be required to pass a Federal Security Background check and obtain a Transportation Workers Identification Credential (TWIC) to work in a maritime environment as required by Department of Homeland Security.
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
- Previous territorial management experience
- Demonstrated understanding of Port of NY & NJ container terminal and ExpressRail operations;
- Demonstrated understanding of BCO advantages and disadvantages associated with those ports that would compete with Port of NY & NJ facilities for containerized inland discretionary cargo;
- Demonstrated understanding of and experience in the international logistics system from factory door to store shelf, including major companies involved in each link in the logistics chain;
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in developing business with major BCO’s;
- Demonstrated and in-depth understanding of worldwide ocean carrier operations including pricing decisions, terminal operations and negotiations, intermodal routing decisions, customer acquisition and retention strategies, and carrier alliances;
- Demonstrated knowledge of and contacts with personnel at all levels in major ocean carrier and BCO organizations in the United States and abroad;
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
Compensation & Benefits
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey offers a competitive salary, an outstanding benefits package and a professional environment that supports development and recognizes achievement.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the Apply Now button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume. The Port Authority of NY & NJ welcomes veteran and military spouse applications.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than $23 billion in annual wages and $80 billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.