Reporting to a Principal Engineer of Electrical Engineering, the Staff Services Engineer will be responsible to deliver Electronics Systems Design Services in the preparation of electronic and radio system engineering studies, master plans, detailed system designs, contract drawings, technical specifications and construction cost estimates. The incumbent shall evaluate project technical scopes of work, develop design criteria and assumptions, budgets and schedules for delivering design services in support of assigned projects; provide technical advice and assistance to facility and other PA personnel in matters related to electronics engineering; audit electronics engineering designs performed by consultants; lead design teams in the preparation of technical proposals, detailed design coordination efforts, schedule and budget reports, and provide briefings to senior staff.
Radio systems include Analog and Digital Land/Mobile Radio, In-Building Distributed Antenna Systems (DAS), Dispatch Console Systems, Trunked Radio Systems, including Simulcast Systems, as well as commercial and unlicensed wireless communication systems. Electronics Systems include Integrated CCTV surveillance, Integrated Security, Analog Communications including fiber optics, Digital communications with various protocols and networking, Public Address and Visual Paging.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Lead design teams in the preparation of engineering designs including preparation of proposals, design coordination, schedule and budget reporting and briefings to senior staff.
- Prepare preliminary and detailed estimates, design criteria for new construction of electronics and/or radio communication systems projects and designs for the alteration of existing electronics and radio equipment and systems. Review criteria including tolerances, dimensions, shapes and sizes, and determines the properties required in materials and feasible construction methods.
- Development of preliminary conceptual design work and planning for Capital Projects and Major Work Programs. Provide the Client Department with design alternatives and associated cost, for future planning and funding of projects.
- Preparation of Contract Documents consisting of drawings, technical specifications, construction cost estimates, and purchase orders. Produce biddable and constructible Contract Documents to meet the requirements of the Client Department within time schedules and budgets.
- Perform detailed system engineering design, including technical analysis and associated economic studies and make recommendations. Ensure technical integrity, safety, efficient operation, maintainability and sound economics of the projects.
- Ensures that projects are coordinated with other disciplines, Line Department facilities and outside entities (manufacturer's representatives, utilities consulting engineers and contractors). Minimize disruption of normal facility operations.
- Preparation of scope of work and design criteria for all projects involving consultants. Audit consultant's design and progress. Ensure that consultant's design conforms to scope of work, codes, P.A. standards and cost is kept within budget. Provide technical assistance to facilities. Ensure safe and reliable operation of facilities.
- Maintain knowledge of State-of-the-Art technology and equipment in all electronics systems.
- Ensure that P.A. facilities are designed in accordance with the most advanced technology available.
- Participate in field commissioning, testing including startup and troubleshooting of Electronic systems.
- Ensure technical integrity, contract compliance safety, efficient operation, maintainability, and minimum downtime of the systems.
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredit college or university with coursework in electronic and digital circuits, communications, controls, and computer engineering.
- A minimum of seven (7) years of detailed design experience in professional engineering work with principal experience in electronics and/or radio communication systems design and technical specification writing for commercial and industrial facilities.
- Proven ability to lead, manage, and prioritize multiple assignments with multiple disciplines.
- Design experience must include Analog Communications including fiber optics, Digital communications with various protocols and networking, Analog Simulcast Two-Way Radio, Digital Trunked Radio, including P25 systems, as well as wireless communications, relevant reliability and sizing calculations, preparation of contract drawings, coordination of technical specifications with contract drawings and construction cost estimating.
- Must possess a valid driver's license.
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
- Demonstrated and working knowledge of electrical codes, radio and technology standards.
- Experience in preparing scope of work and design criteria for all projects involving consultants and auditing of consultant's design and progress.
- Experience in field commissioning, testing including startup and troubleshooting of electronic systems.
- Demonstrated experience in leading project teams in the preparation of engineering designs including preparation of proposals, design coordination, schedule reporting, budget reporting and briefing senior staff.
- Experience in design of all electronic systems.
- Experience in performing calculations such as bandwidth, system noise, link budgets, network storage, etc.
- Proficiency in preparing contract drawings such as detailed system diagrams, riser and interconnection diagrams, equipment layouts, plans, sections, details, etc.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to work efficiently, independently and prioritize as required. Proficient in the use of software applications, such as Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Licensed as a Professional Engineer in the State of New York or New Jersey (desirable).
Compensation & Benefits
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey offers a competitive salary, an outstanding benefits package and a professional environment that supports development and recognizes achievement.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the Apply Now button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than $23 billion in annual wages and $80 billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.