The Engineering Department of the Port Authority of New York & New Jersey is seeking an experienced Senior Manager - Business Strategies & Operations to partner with all Engineering divisions to support the Chief Engineer’s long-term vision for the department. Reporting to the office of the Chief of Operations the selected candidate will lead efforts to optimize operations, improve reporting, provide insights to improve processes, mitigate challenges and implement goals. The selected candidate will be responsible for managing a staff of 3-5 professionals collaborating with all department stakeholders, line business departments and the Project Management office. The selected candidate will serve as a senior advisor to the Chief of Operations, this position is responsible for long-term and short-term strategic leadership for Operations including planning, developing, and establishing goals, objectives, and programs aligned with the overall mission of Engineering Department. This position will be responsible for increasing effectiveness of cross-Department activities and interface points. The selected candidate will actively participate in and contribute to key decisions pertaining to strategic initiatives, operational improvements and operational execution.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Lead efforts to develop and refine the Departments’ dashboard and metrics reporting. Including developing and reporting on key performance indicators.
- Use technology and machine learning to analyze project data and develop improved predicative forecasting.
- Work with Division heads and the Chief Engineer’s Office to manage and maintain the Department’s Enterprise Risk Management plan.
- Lead the development Departments’ multi-year workplan coordinating with Division Heads.
- Support the Chief of Operations as departmental liaison with the Project Management Office.
- Lead the development and implementation of the Engineering Operations strategic plan.
- Direct the development, integration and optimization of operational policies, processes and procedures to ensure operational efficiency and effectiveness including identification of software needs.
- Support the engineering department by participating in Lean Initiatives. Lead the implementation of approved initiatives within the department to achieve successful operational performance, and leading opportunities for continuous improvement.
- Bring and utilize extensive knowledge of the engineering industry to identify technological developments and evaluate impacts on the engineering department. Demonstrate excellent project management skills, inspire teamwork and responsibility with engagement team members, and use current technology/tools to enhance the effectiveness of deliverables and services.
- Provide leadership for implementation of quality assurance and conduct of operations principles, policies, and procedures by assisting staff with application of national, industry, and professional standards and industry best practices.
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- Bachelor’s Degree in engineering, architecture, business, or related field from an accredited college or university
- Minimum 10 years’ of progressively more responsible experience in operations and/or business analysis and familiarity with the engineering design/construction process. Including project management, project budgets, project controls, and change management.
- Knowledge and implementation of work planning and control.
- Extensive senior-level leadership and management experience over a large, diverse multidisciplinary team of people in a fast-paced environment. Experience building positive and collaborative working relationships among a wide range of engineering, technical, operational staff members engaged in a variety of programmatic and operational efforts.
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
- Extensive experience in organizational problem-solving, decision-making and leadership skills necessary to independently advise, counsel, recommend and develop solutions on a wide variety of management-level technical and operational issues.
- Proven ability to resolve complex operational issues in a manner that fosters institutional values and buy-in. Excellent negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Excellent analysis skills and ability to formulate logical and objective conclusions, achieving directional consensus, and implementing directives.
- Senior level leadership and management skills, both in setting strategic direction and motivating people, as well as managing programs, projects, or organizations, to influence the development of institutional goals and objectives.
- Expert communication skills, over a wide range of topic areas, both written and verbal, necessary to effectively explain, facilitate, present, negotiate, advise, and influence all levels of management.
- Extensive experience with engineering policies and procedures
- Experience and knowledge of management practices in planning, overseeing and executing budgets and a proven ability to effectively balance operational and budget priorities to achieve desired results.
- Proven strategic and innovative thinker who anticipates needs and makes decisions within the framework of the authority’s strategic direction.
Compensation & Benefits
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey offers a competitive salary, an outstanding benefits package and a professional environment that supports development and recognizes achievement.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the Apply Now button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than $23 billion in annual wages and $80 billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.