The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey's Law Department is looking for a Manager, Claims to provide oversight and management of a team of 15 claims representatives and staff in processing to resolution all claims asserted by and against the Port Authority
Reporting to the Assistant General Counsel for Litigation, specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to,
- Act as a leader of a service-focused team at a bi-state public agency operating critically-important regional transportation infrastructure
- Participate with Port Authority Finance and Budget to set, adjust and manage claims reserves
- Devise and implement investigative procedures and risk mitigation techniques to resolve matters prior to litigation if possible, and to reduce awards against the Port Authority and increase predictability of recovery
- Work with all line departments for timely access to relevant information necessary for claims defense and processing and with Port Authority Law Department attorneys on ongoing litigation, including input on settlement offers
- Manage relationships with excess insurance carriers on claims that may exceed the Port Authority’s self-insured retention
- Manage Medicare set-aside program
- Manage line compliance program
- Directly negotiate settlements on significant matters and supervise staff to dispose of other claims to resolve matters quickly and efficiently
- Work with independent trustees to administer Port Authority’s captive insurer with respect to its self-insured retention
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution in business, finance or related field; J.D. preferred
- At least 15 years’ experience in claims adjustment or related property/casualty field, with a strong preference for experience with companies engaged in large infrastructure construction/management
- Experience in management of property and casualty loss risk in a programmatic manner (including self-insurance programs) and knowledge of property and casualty insurance practice and legislation providing for employee safety, especially related to transportation businesses
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
- Management and oversight of claims adjusters and ability to manage a claims adjustment department
- Computer literacy and experience in opening and tracking matters online
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, collaborative office environment, with demonstrated flexibility and resourcefulness in analyzing and resolving a wide-range of complex and novel matters
- Understanding of special requirements of governmental agencies
Compensation & Benefits
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey offers a competitive salary, an outstanding benefits package and a professional environment that supports development and recognizes achievement.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the Apply Now button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than $23 billion in annual wages and $80 billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.