The Aviation department of the Port Authority of New York & New Jersey is looking for an experienced Manager, Airport Maintenance to oversee all aspects of maintenance for JFK airport infrastructure and ensure unit compliance with all applicable codes, rules and regulations. The Manager, Airport Maintenance will manage a staff of over 300 represented field maintenance, management and clerical employees assigned to one of eight functional maintenance units (i.e. Structural, Landscape and Gardening, Mechanical, Plumbing, Electrical, Environmental, Contract Services as well as Administrative).
The Manager, Airport Maintenance will be a member of JFK’s management team and fully accountable and responsible for providing leadership in directing and managing aspects of the Airport Maintenance Services Division. Reporting to the Manager, Physical Plant and Structures the Manager, Airport Maintenance, JFK will:
- Foster and maintain safe work practices and developing and coordinating the execution of the Airport’s snow plan.
- Provide support to the airport’s Capital and Operating Major Works programs.
- Monitor and evaluate the performance of subordinate staff and Unit service contractors responsible for providing maintenance services support.
- Ensure compliance of established contract management procedures by subordinate staff, manage division’s administrative activities such as budget preparation, authorization of overtime and expenditures, preparation of all documents related to board authorization and contract administration.
- Administer Maintenance labor agreements and participate in Maintenance grievance and disciplinary hearings and other related activities.
- Be on call and able to respond to the facility in the event of a n emergency without delay on a 24-hour 7 day per week basis (including weekends and holidays).
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in aviation, transportation, maintenance or related business field in a large, complex operating environment.
- Experience managing large represented/non-represented staff where you have demonstrated ability to manage, develop and motivate diverse teams to achieve high performance.
- Availability to report to airport emergencies, inclusive of inclement weather or other irregular operations, 24 hours per day, seven days per week.
- At least 25% of the time will be off shift hours (as needed and at varied times)
- Knowledge of Port Authority operating policies and procedures, including those related to administration, budget, human resources, labor agreements, maintenance procedures, business planning, contract administration and the authorization process.
- Possess and maintain a valid driver’s license.
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Architecture, Aviation Administration, Airport Management or Business Management/Administration from an accredited college or university.
- Demonstrated ability to lead a highly skilled and responsible work force in supporting airport operations.
- Any direct airport or facility maintenance experience in any of the following trades:
- Mechanical – familiarity with large building air conditioning systems
- Structural – experience with paving, snow removal, etc.
- Electrical – experience with high tension, large power loads
- Demonstrated experience in negotiation and conflict resolution related to labor agreements, disciplinary procedures and consensus building to achieve agency goals.
- Demonstrated written and oral communication skills, including experience interacting with executive management within and outside the Port Authority.
Compensation & Benefits
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey offers a competitive salary, an outstanding benefits package and a professional environment that supports development and recognizes achievement.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the Apply Now button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority
During 2018, the Port Authority handled a projected 137.9 million passengers at its four commercial airports – John F. Kennedy International, Newark Liberty International, LaGuardia and New York Stewart International airports—an increase of 3.8 percent over 2017’s previous record high. Newark Liberty reported a 6.3 percent annual increase, JFK reported a 2.5 percent increase and LaGuardia saw its annual passenger volume rise by 2.3 percent. New York Stewart reported a 44.2 percent surge in traffic, driven in part by new, low-cost nonstop service offered by Norwegian Air to destinations overseas.
To accommodate future airport demand, the Port Authority and its private airport partners have committed an unprecedented $28 billion – the most in agency history – to maintain and build new airport facilities across the system. The level of investment illustrates the Port Authority’s aggressive commitment to creating a network of state-of-the art airport facilities.
- At LaGuardia, an $8 billion rebuilding of the legacy airport is in progress, and in December, the first new concourse in Terminal B opened to the public.
- At Newark Liberty, ground was broken in October for a new Terminal One that will replace the aging and obsolete Terminal A.
- At JFK, Governor Cuomo announced in October a $13 billion project to rebuild the airport, including the addition of 4 million square feet to the airport’s north and south sides to increase airport capacity by at least 15 million passengers annually. The first new gates of the redeveloped terminal are scheduled to open in 2023 with projected completion in 2025.
Join our Talent Network: www.JoinThePortAuthority.com
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.