The Aviation department of the Port Authority of New York & New Jersey is seeking an experienced Senior Advisor/Senior Policy Analyst to partner with Newark Airport Operations, EWR Redevelopment, Traffic Engineering, Properties & Commercial Development, EWR PAPD, Physical Plant, Redevelopment and other EWR divisions to support the General Manager’s long-term vision for the airport while learning and developing facility management skills. You will help to maximize staff resources, improve processes, implement goals, mitigate challenges and resolve problems at one of the busiest international and North American Airports .
Reporting to the General Manager, New Jersey Airports, the Senior Advisor/Senior Policy Analyst will:
- Sserve as a policy advisor to the General Manager and the Deputy on organizational matters, assisting in decision-making through information and briefings, and attending senior-level meetings to establish courses of action, guiding principles or procedures that are prudent or advantageous to EWR’s business.
- Oversee the Program’s initiatives to ensure consistency between the Vision Plan, Aviation Business Plan and alignment with the airport’s capital planning and operating budget processes by serving as the principal liaison between EWR Redevelopment, and other departments, preparing and reviewing internal and external communications, developing briefing documents and presentations, coordinating staff work across multiple functions.
- Oversee of several department-wide business programs and policies
- Strategic Planning: Ensure that strategic initiatives, which span across different airport functional areas are proceeding on course and with support and attention from the General Manager's office.
- Organize Special Airport Events: Support GM Office and Unit Heads in managing special requests for events on airport. Gubernatorial events/ribbon cuttings/holiday celebrations/staff recognition.
- EWR Senior Staff Retreat: In partnership with GM & DGM, strategize, develop and implement the annual EWR Senior Staff Retreat. Follow up the retreat by summarizing actionable items, and assigning staff ownership and realistic schedules for completion/implementation.
- Strategic Communications: Lead PA Marketing, Media, Traffic Engineering, PA AOC and Landside Operations team to develop Communication Plans to inform and educate the traveling public of significant roadway changes, terminal openings and other events on airport.
- Speeches/Power Point Presentations: Draft talking points/power point presentations for the General Manager/Deputy General Manager for special events/speaking engagements.
- EWR Report Writing: Create a system that empowers staff to highlight their accomplishments on behalf of the airport on a weekly basis. Expand the group of recipients who participate in this action in order to provide a comprehensive and robust weekly report for the Aviation Director.
- EWR White Papers: Prepare white papers in partnership with the GM, the DGM and EWR management staff, for distribution to Aviation leadership and/or Executive Staff in order to save costs and bring about efficiencies.
- Annual Accomplishments: Prepare EWR's annual summary of significant accomplishments (comprehensive and succinct document) on behalf of the GM/DGM, for distribution to Department Director.
- External Outreach: Lead EWR action with PA marketing in order to draft and publish EWR actions for PA News and PA social media.
- Represent GM/DGM at Meetings and attend Special Events. Upon request, represent GM's office in meetings with EWR Redevelopment Staff and/or airlines ie: NIAAMCO. Report on key issues and follow up to ensure complete and thorough resolution of high level matters.
- Lead day-to-day tasks on behalf of the General Manager's office that are essential to the achievement of the airport's long-term vision.
- EWR’s Board Process & By-Law Authorization Process: Provide oversight and management of the board process in support of EWR’s priorities including airport redevelopment programs, capital projects, leases, and professional and technical services agreements. Establish and communicate clear requirements for staff advancing Agenda Items to ensure the Department meets internal and external deadlines and effectively advances its business priorities.
- Administration of EWR’s By-Law Authorization: Coordinate with central office staff, and well as internal business partners (MBD, Procurement, Law, OFA, OSEC, Real Estate, Engineering, etc.) to successfully execute By-Law Authorization Documents. Monitor EWR’s contract log and leverage knowledge of agency policies to efficiently authorize recommendations and advise staff on the best course of action.
- Business Planning and Performance Measurement: Lead information gathering from all divisions in order to produce and support key deliverables to EWR’s annual Business Plan, Capital Plan and annual operating budget contributions. Oversee efforts to develop, update, and monitor EWR’s portfolio of critical business needs consistent with the annual Aviation Department Business Plan and other department-wide reports.
- Manage communications from senior airport staff with all internal/external stakeholders, the Aviation Department and Executive staff. Coordinate community outreach with EWR liaison and site tours including preparations of speeches and presentations.
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in Public Administration, Business Administration, Political Science, Public Policy, or related field from an accredited college or university.
- Minimum of 5 years work experience in policy, business analysis, program management, government relations or administration
- Experience planning, organizing and directing concurrent and complex projects and activities, with significant project management and planning experience
- Experience developing intricate program and project strategies to achieve business goals and to understand stakeholder impact
- Proficiency with PowerPoint where you have prepared and updated presentation slides for all level staff
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
- Master’s degree in Public Administration, Business Administration or Finance
- Experience gathering and interpreting aviation industry (i.e. airport/airline) data
- Knowledge of airline industry business and operating practices (i.e. Aviation Capital Plan budgeting process)
- Knowledge of Port Authority policies and procedures related to project management systems, administration, the capital authorization and agenda review processes and document control
- Recognized leadership qualities in the guidance of Staff Departments efforts to deliver program and project objectives
- Experience working with diverse groups such as tenants, contractors, vendors, government, community boards, civic associations and industry officials
- Demonstrated ability to devise and implement innovative and creative solutions to problems and issues relative to the responsibilities of the Division
- Demonstrated experience organizing a demanding workload with the ability to work in a high pressure environment with multiple tasks due in a tight timeframe
- Expert knowledge of Port Authority policies and procedures related to the Board Authorization process (Agenda Items, MJs and MAs)
Compensation & Benefits
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey offers a competitive salary, an outstanding benefits package and a professional environment that supports development and recognizes achievement.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the Apply Now button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority
During 2018, the Port Authority handled a projected 137.9 million passengers at its four commercial airports – John F. Kennedy International, Newark Liberty International, LaGuardia and New York Stewart International airports—an increase of 3.8 percent over 2017’s previous record high. Newark Liberty reported a 6.3 percent annual increase, JFK reported a 2.5 percent increase and LaGuardia saw its annual passenger volume rise by 2.3 percent. New York Stewart reported a 44.2 percent surge in traffic, driven in part by new, low-cost nonstop service offered by Norwegian Air to destinations overseas.
To accommodate future airport demand, the Port Authority and its private airport partners have committed an unprecedented $28 billion – the most in agency history – to maintain and build new airport facilities across the system. The level of investment illustrates the Port Authority’s aggressive commitment to creating a network of state-of-the art airport facilities.
- At LaGuardia, an $8 billion rebuilding of the legacy airport is in progress, and in December, the first new concourse in Terminal B opened to the public.
- At Newark Liberty, ground was broken in October for a new Terminal One that will replace the aging and obsolete Terminal A.
- At JFK, Governor Cuomo announced in October a $13 billion project to rebuild the airport, including the addition of 4 million square feet to the airport’s north and south sides to increase airport capacity by at least 15 million passengers annually. The first new gates of the redeveloped terminal are scheduled to open in 2023 with projected completion in 2025.
Join our Talent Network: www.JoinThePortAuthority.com
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.