The Aviation department of the Port Authority of New York & New Jersey is looking for an experienced AirTrain System Safety Manager to manage, develop, monitor and the implement a comprehensive system safety assurance program for AirTrain JFK.
Under the direction of the General Manager, Rail Operations – AirTrain JFK, the AirTrain System Safety Manager will:
- Plan, direct, manage and oversee the safety activities and operations of AirTrain Operator’s System Safety Department including industrial, environmental, safety engineering, and accident investigation programs
- Enforce safety, security and maintenance policies and procedures related to the safe and efficient operations
- Ensure adherence to Port Authority AirTrain Safety Oversight Board (ATSOB) Safety and Security Program Standards and Procedures
- Coordinate assigned activities with other departments and outside agencies
- Oversee and approve the AirTrain Operator’s Safety Management System (SMS) and associated Plans
- Manage the Operator’s closure of Corrective Action Plans resulting from ATSOB Triennial Audits and other sources.
- Develop and maintain AirTrain JFK safety library with all relevant industry standards, SOPs, Operating Rules, Emergency Plans and Procedures, etc.
- Evaluate proposed system and operating procedures modifications and refer proposed changes to management as needed for review and approval. This includes review of temporary change notices, engineering change notices and field modification instructions issued by the Operator
- Oversee the AirTrain Operator’s investigation of all AirTrain accidents and incidents in accordance with the AirTrain Operator’s procedures
- Based on accident investigations, evaluate the AirTrain Operator’s recommendations for corrective actions to prevent similar accidents or incidents, and makes additional recommendations for implementation or changes to policies and procedures
- Perform audits and inspections of safety, facilities, and maintenance records
- Oversee AirTrain Operator’s response to system failures, recovery responses and restoration of system operations for adherence to proper procedure and protocol
- Prepare monthly and quarterly summary reports, maintain databases for trend analysis
- Maintain and update PA Audit Plan and perform internal audits
- Provide oversight of the AirTrain Operator’s Training Program and associated procedures
- Coordinate with PAPD and facilitate interdepartmental emergency drills utilizing tabletop and field simulation of emergencies
- Oversee hazard management activities performed by AirTrain Operator and others
- Conduct review of safety rules and procedures issued by AirTrain Operator and others
- Conduct review of AirTrain Operator’s awareness and compliance to safety requirements
- Provide highly responsible and complex administrative support to the General Manager of Rail Operations. Represent AirTrain General Manager in their absence
- Manage the PA Operations and Customer Service Field Supervision staff
- Participate as a subject matter expert in depositions, hearings, or other legal matters as required by PA Law Department
- Respond to FOI requests, CCTV requests as required by PA Law Department
- Prepare monthly safety metrics and KPI reports
Responsibilities related to Emergency Management:
- Ensure coordination with AirTrain Operator and PAPD in preparation and responding to emergency
- Coordinate AirTrain’s Emergency Response Plan with PA plans as required
- Review and coordinate procedure changes as a result of industry standard
- Provide AirTrain Familiarization training to PAPD and emergency responders
- Participate in JFK Airport and AirTrain full scale exercises
- Keep abreast of current industry safety standards
- Support PA in threat & vulnerability identification and resolution for the AirTrain
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university (or related)
- Minimum of ten (10) years of safety management or systems safety management experience
- Knowledge of safety rules, regulations related to OHSA, FRA, FTA or DOT
- Experience establishing comprehensive, detailed plans with specific timelines, milestones and deliverables necessary to meet or exceed project goals
- Noted experience using Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Ability to respond to airport emergencies, AirTrain outages, Emergency Operations Center (EOC) duty, snow duty, etc. 24 hours/seven days a week
- Valid driver’s license
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
- Experience in (system) safety management with at least three (3) years in the rail transit or rail transportation industry
- Experience in planning, designing, operating, maintaining or overseeing transportation related services
- Understanding of mechanical, electrical or communication systems as related to transportation applications or related industry
- Experience organizing a demanding workload with the ability to work in a high-pressure environment with multiple tasks due in a tight timeframe
- Strong, proven written and verbal communication skills, including demonstrated experience interacting with management, tenants, contractors, vendors and the general public
Compensation & Benefits
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey offers a competitive salary, an outstanding benefits package and a professional environment that supports development and recognizes achievement.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the Apply Now button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority
Work for one of the world’s most vital and vibrant operations of transportation network! We want dynamic candidates who have a clear interest in a career in public service and show a passion for all areas of aviation/airport management.
To accommodate future airport demand, the Port Authority and its private airport partners have committed an unprecedented $28 billion – the most in agency history – to maintain and build new airport facilities across the system. The level of investment illustrates the Port Authority’s aggressive commitment to creating a network of state-of-the art airport facilities.
- At LaGuardia, an $8 billion rebuilding of the legacy airport is in progress, and in December, the first new concourse in Terminal B opened to the public.
- At Newark Liberty, ground was broken in October for a new Terminal One that will replace the aging and obsolete Terminal A.
- At JFK, Governor Cuomo announced in October a $13 billion project to rebuild the airport, including the addition of 4 million square feet to the airport’s north and south sides to increase airport capacity by at least 15 million passengers annually. The first new gates of the redeveloped terminal are scheduled to open in 2023 with projected completion in 2025.
Join our Talent Network: www.JoinThePortAuthority.com
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.