Reporting to the Chief Scheduler and the Chief of Operations office this Manager will be an integral member of the project controls team, assumes primary responsibility for analysis, developing, and reporting associated with one or more project controls job duties, such as schedule, cost control, earned value management (EVM), projections, variance analysis, change control, and data configuration management.
The Assistant Chief Scheduler will provide planning and scheduling expertise to the Engineering Department and ensure that Port Authority scheduling standards of practice are consistently applied. This is a working manager that oversees scheduling and scheduling services. This role ranges from assisting project teams in developing and maintaining project schedules, reporting status at the project and executive level, determining scheduler staffing needs for the department and assigning projects, hiring and mentoring scheduling staff, developing and training employees in planning and scheduling techniques, connecting and enabling project schedulers, guiding project teams faced with challenging situations and optimizing the opportunities available to them, uniformly applying PA’s standards of practice for planning and scheduling to all projects. Individuals in this role have highly developed communication and technical skills in scheduling, claim avoidance, and claim analysis. The Assistant Chief Scheduler should possess specific knowledge of construction process flow and sequencing used in developing a construction schedule and is skilled at instructing teams on the best practices of schedule development. They are skilled in the current version of scheduling software, Primavera P6 Enterprise Project Portfolio Management. This is a proactive position with a strong desire to promote the excellence of planning and scheduling throughout the Port Authority.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Management of engineering project controls team comprised of three on-site schedulers, 6-8 field schedulers and supervise firms performing master schedules for facilities.
- Provide detailed analysis and reporting of project status within an established system of engineering project controls.
- Teams with engineering staff and project leads and managers to make recommendations to influence key decision makers within the scope of project controls.
- Review and analyze engineering project schedules. Have Knowledge in resource and cost loading schedules
- Assists with engineering project team interactions, including arranging and documenting periodic reviews and tracking project deliverable and presenting status to internal stakeholders
- Facilitates internal engineering team communications and meetings regarding engineering project controls deliverables. Candidate should be able to set priorities, perform business analysis on projects, meet critical time deadlines.
- Engage directly with the team to design and develop impactful, dynamic, and insightful business intelligence visualizations, dashboards, and other analytic tools
- Present results from large and/or complex data sets in a coherent and clear format, tailored for the audience as appropriate.
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Construction Management, Architecture, Business, Finance or similar quantitative field from an accredited college or university.
- Eight (8) or more years of progressively more responsible experience in operations and/or business analysis.
- Experience with the engineering design/construction process and construction project management/planning, including project budgets, cost controls and scheduling process.
- Knowledge of or experience with project controls practices and principles, including work breakdown structure development, duration management, schedule logic and dependencies, critical path analysis, change control, Earned Value Management Systems (EVMS), status reporting, and what-if analysis.
- Must possess full proficiency in CPM scheduling techniques and principles, including the demonstrated ability to handle and prioritize multiple projects concurrently.
- Must possess excellent computer skills with a strong working knowledge of importing and exporting information into Primavera P6 Scheduling Software
- Subject Matter Expert in CPM scheduling with the ability to review and analyze schedules and changes to determine the impact on a project.
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
- Master’s Degree in Engineering, Construction Management, Architecture, Business, Finance or similar quantitative field from an accredited college or university.
- Strong oral and written communications and presentation skills and the ability to apply appropriate communication techniques to various individuals.
- Ability to analyze and synthesize information in a concise manner and to make recommendations on strategies to resolve project issues is required.
- Ability to connect and enable direct reports.
- Positive stakeholder service orientation, with both internal and external stakeholders is required.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of public sector business operations and the ability to anticipate, understand, and react to project team needs.
- Superior soft skills for achieving success in a group environment and to influence, motivate and challenge others.
- Demonstrated strong analytical skills.
- Proven experience in analyzing workflows and developing and implementing innovative strategies and solutions
- Strong conceptualization, problem solving and decision-making skills as evidenced from project experience.
Compensation & Benefits
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey offers a competitive salary, an outstanding benefits package and a professional environment that supports development and recognizes achievement.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the Apply Now button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than $23 billion in annual wages and $80 billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.