Reporting to the Principal Civil Engineer, the Staff Services Engineer will be responsible to serve as the Engineering Department’s Project Lead Engineer for delivering engineering studies and projects of varying complexity. This requires coordinating the activities of in-house design professionals or consultants and to be the point of contact for client departments (e.g. aviation, ports, PATH and tunnels and bridges).
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Self-perform civil preliminary and final design services that conform to the Port Authority’s applicable design standards/guidelines and codes.
- Preparation of Contract Documents consisting of drawings, technical specifications, construction cost estimates, and purchase orders. Produce biddable and constructible Contract Documents to meet the requirements of the Client Department within time schedules and budgets
- Prepare the civil engineering scope of work, schedule and budget and assist the Port Authority’s Engineering Program Management Unit with preparation of project proposals, including changes that may arise.
- Prepare scope of work, design criteria and independent staff cost estimate for professional engineering services to be performed by independent consultant(s). Critically review consultant proposals, negotiate cost, and ensure schedule/budget compliance. Audit the consultant’s deliverables such as engineering studies, designs and contract documents for construction projects.
- Negotiate schedules with other functional disciplines (i.e. structural, traffic, mechanical, environmental, electrical and geotechnical) and Project Managers.
- Provide guidance and direction in civil engineering design approach, including technical analysis and making recommendations.
- Perform facility site inspections.
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- Bachelors Degree in Civil Engineering from an ABET accredited engineering college or university
- Minimum of six (6) years civil design experience including any of the following: airfields, stormwater and sanitary sewer collection systems, roadway geometry, pavements, water supply, or trackwork
- Experience in engineering small to complex civil infrastructure design projects having construction contract value up to $5 million (or more).
- Proficient in Civil 3D software application
- Valid driver's license
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
- Licensed as a Professional Engineer in the State of New York or State of New Jersey.
- Demonstrated experience in problem solving, decision making, negotiations and conflict resolution skills to effectively reach sound conclusions and recommendations.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, manage, and prioritize multiple assignments with multiple disciplines.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to work independently and prioritize as required.
- Proficiency in preparing contract documents; drawings and technical specifications.
- Excellent presentation and written communication skills.
- Proficient in the use of software applications, such as Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
Compensation & Benefits
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey offers a competitive salary, an outstanding benefits package and a professional environment that supports development and recognizes achievement.
About The Port Authority
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than $23 billion in annual wages and $80 billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.