This job posting is no longer active.
Reporting to the Chief Civil Engineer, the Principal Civil Engineer for Aviation Infrastructures will be responsible for directing/supervising professional technical staff in the preparation and delivery of the Engineering Department's workload in support of the Agency's capital projects and major works programs at airport facilities. The successful candidate will apply their experience of civil infrastructure (pavements, utilities, and stormwater management), including knowledge of AASHTO, FAA Advisory Circulars and similar standards or guidelines, to develop recommendations.
Responsibilities also include but are not limited to the following:
- Provide expert engineering advice and develop recommendations to Aviation Department and the facilities on Civil infrastructure (pavements, airfield design elements, utilities, and stormwater management) needs.
- Delegate responsibility and provide effective guidance and direction to professional technical staff in design approach, including engineering analysis, and delivery of work products in accordance with the Engineering Department's Quality Control Program and the Agency’s project delivery process (i.e. Stages I to IV)
- On annual basis, formulate and update the Agency’s seven-year paving major works program for maintaining pavements in a state of good repair. Review of the annual Pavement Management Condition Reports as well as supplemental visual inspections is required to formulate and update the seven-year paving major works program
- Evaluate and provide objective employee performance feedback via the Agency’s Recognizing and Managing Performance (RaMP) process
- Train/mentor and develop technical staff in civil infrastructure
- Perform site inspections of civil aviation infrastructure
- Perform Quality Assurance/Quality Control checking of conceptual and engineering studies, designs and contract documents completed by technical staff
- Manage resource requirements (i.e. decide whether task/project assignments are performed in-house staff or via use of call-in consultants) for present and planned workload
- Review/audit consultant proposals and engineering reports, studies and contract documents for aviation construction projects
- Assist the Chief Civil Engineer’s office with tasks related to administrative activities and requests
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- Minimum of 10 years professional engineering experience in design and maintenance/rehabilitation strategies for civil infrastructure (pavements, utilities, geometrical design, Airfield design and stormwater management).
- Bachelors Degree in Civil Engineering from an ABET accredited engineering college or university.
- Must be Licensed Professional Engineer in the State of New York or State of New Jersey.
- Experience supervising at least three (3) professional technical staff engaged in all phases of civil engineering design, including staff training and implementing staff motivation.
- Experience in engineering small to complex civil infrastructure design projects (projects with $5 million or more in construction contract value).
- Knowledge of AASHTO, FAA Advisory Circulars and similar standards or guidelines.
- Valid driver's license.
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
- Masters degree in Civil Engineering from an ABET accredited engineering college or university.
- Demonstrated experience in problem solving, negotiations and conflict resolution skills to effectively reach sound conclusions and recommendations.
- Proven ability to lead, manage, and prioritize multiple assignments with multiple disciplines.
- Ability to demonstrate strong conceptualization, problem solving, and decision-making skills from experience in directing, and managing both routine and complex aviation programs and projects.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to work independently and prioritize as required.
- Proficiency in preparing contract documents; drawings and technical specifications.
- Excellent oral, including experience inmaking presentations, and written communication skills commensurate with the supervisory responsibilities of the position.
Compensation & Benefits
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey offers a competitive salary, an outstanding benefits package and a professional environment that supports development and recognizes achievement.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the Apply Now button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than $23 billion in annual wages and $80 billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.