The Labor Relations Department is looking for a Senior Labor Relations Specialist. Specific responsibiltieis include:
- Provide the Port Authority’s various departments with proper interpretation of collective bargaining agreements and labor-related issues regarding contract language, work rules, past practices, unit work, and policies;
- Assist in the negotiations of successor collective bargaining agreements;
- Review and evaluate incoming grievances, Improper Practice charges and discipline cases; obtain necessary background documents; interview appropriate personnel; make recommendations as to resolving the matter;
- Provide analysis on emerging labor issues by conducting legal research, reviewing arbitration awards, settlement agreements, etc.,
- Assist in the preparation of settlement agreements, grievance responses, disciplinary charges, legal position statements, and other memoranda.
- Participate at informal conferences and hearings, and provide guidance/assistance to the assigned attorney.
- Respond to union requests for information.
- Prepare and conduct training sessions to Port Authority staff on various labor topics and/or emerging issues.
- Prepare and distribute a Labor Relations Department quarterly newsletter;
- Assist in creating and/or maintaining a Labor Relations Department website;
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Industrial and Labor Relations or related field (Juris Doctor or Master’s or Advanced Degree desirable)
- Minimum 3 years experience in collective bargaining and working in a unionized environment
- Ability to understand/interpret basic union contracts
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
- Demonstrated ability to conduct thorough and factual investigations and present findings in a clear, concise and persuasive format.
- Knowledge of general collective bargaining terminology/practices and PA policies/procedures
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel and the ability to provide reports in a clear and concise format
- Excellent analytical and complex problem solving to make quality decisions.
- Excellent written, oral communication and listening skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and prioritize projects in time-sensitive situations paying keen attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with unionized and non-unionized staff at all levels and with external contacts.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team oriented, collaborative environment.
Compensation & Benefits
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey offers a competitive salary, an outstanding benefits package and a professional environment that supports development and recognizes achievement.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the Apply Now button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than $23 billion in annual wages and $80 billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.