This job posting is no longer active.
The Principal Structural Engineer will be responsible for professional design services for state of good repair work and ongoing Capital projects for buildings and bridges at airport and port facilities. The successful candidate will also be responsible for directing, advising, performing, guiding and leading structural design activities at these facilities; managing In-house and Consultant resources to achieve goals within budget; and prioritizing work assignments to meet project objectives in association with the Capital Plan.
Responsibilities include: managing structural engineering resources including the assignment and supervision of structural engineering staff inspection, evaluation, structural analysis including load rating of bridges, preparation of drawings, and construction support services, as well as the hiring of supplemental staff and/or consultants to meet workload requirements; overseeing the structural Quality Control Program for in-house designs; and managing the structural engineering Call-In Consultant agreements. The principal will assist the Assistant Chief Structural Engineer with staff recruiting, hiring, training, performance management, promotions, and the overall professional development and motivation of staff members.
Responsibilities shall also include but not be limited to the following:
- Supervising the preparation of Contract Documents and support documents consisting of design criteria, drawings, technical specifications, construction schedule/cost estimates, and construction staging/phasing.
- Reviewing the preliminary conceptual design work and planning for Capital Projects and Major Work Programs.
- Providing the Client Department with design alternatives and associated cost, for future planning and funding of projects.
- Providing guidance and direction in Engineering design, including technical analysis and associated economic studies and making associated recommendations.
- Ensuring that projects are coordinated with the Port Authority Engineering Department’s Materials Engineering Unit, Quality Assurance Division, Construction Management Division, Contracts Division, Engineering Program Management Division, all other disciplines, Line Department and outside entities.
- Minimizing disruption of normal facility Operations through staging and construction sequencing.
- Supervising and directing staff in the preparation of Scope of Work, structural design criteria and requests for proposals for all projects involving consultants. Auditing consultants’ design and progress.
- Ensuring that consultant designs conform to the Scope of Work, codes, Port Authority Standards and costs are kept within budget. Providing technical assistance to facility staff as necessary.
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering from an ABET accredited engineering college or university.
- Professional Engineers license in the State of New York or the State of New Jersey.
- Minimum of 10 years of professional structural design experience, with a high concentration in building, bridge and waterfront structures.
- Valid driver's license.
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
- Demonstrated supervisory experience overseeing planning and design of routine and large scale building and bridge construction projects, with strong knowledge of PA procedures and policies, as related to Engineering Design.
- Demonstrated experience in problem solving, negotiations and conflict resolution skills to effectively reach sound conclusions and recommendations.
- Structural inspection experience.
- Master’s degree in Civil Engineering from an ABET accredited engineering college or university.
- Experience managing a full-service staff of at least 5 professionals engaged in all phases of Structural Engineering, including but not limited to inspection, structural analysis, evaluation, load rating, design and construction support services.
- Engineering design for transportation facilities.
- Proven ability to lead, manage, and prioritize multiple high-profile multi-discipline engineering assignments.
- Ability to demonstrate strong conceptualization, problem solving, and decision-making skills from experience in planning, directing, and managing both routine and large-scale transportation programs and projects.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to work independently and prioritize as required.
- Proficiency in preparing contract drawings.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills commensurate with the supervisory responsibilities of the position.
- Superior presentation skills including experience making presentations to all levels of staff and outside stakeholders.
- Proficient in the use of software applications, such as Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Demonstrated experience and proficiency in use of computer software for structural analysis and design.
Compensation & Benefits
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey offers a competitive salary, an outstanding benefits package and a professional environment that supports development and recognizes achievement.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the Apply Now button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than $23 billion in annual wages and $80 billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.