The Engineer of Projects (EOP) will be a direct report to the Senior Engineer of Projects. The EOP is responsible for coordinating the budgets and schedules for all Engineering deliverables related to the Agency’s major programs, as well as monitoring, reporting, and forecasting deliverables for their assigned portfolio of projects. The selected candidate will be the primary point-of-contact for the Engineering Department from Design through Construction to ensure that Engineering budgets and schedules align with the approved portfolio and mitigate any potential scope changes to ensure alignment with TPC. The EOP will establish consistent work plans, budgets, and project controls for the successful delivery of Engineering projects.
- Overall responsibility for the performance of the design and construction teams, including oversight of project budgets and schedules. This will include assuring project scoping is delivered in accordance with Line Department requests, major design milestones are met, and construction is delivered according to contractual schedule and budget
- Reporting to senior staff, as required, on project progress, issues and actions and schedule and budget status
- For major redevelopment programs, assist in the procurement of construction contracts or alternate contracting strategies (PPP, Design Build, etc.) by providing advisory services during the document preparation, bid and award of the construction management agreement and construction contracts
- Collaborate with Line Department counterparts on the coordination of Engineering support for project categorization, prioritization, planning, design, construction and asset management.
- Lead the progress of assigned projects and report the status of schedules and budgets. Provide regular updates on major program progress.
- Lead the reporting of Engineering Department resource expenditures, related to major programs, to ensure adequate soft cost allocations and tracking for major programs.
- Lead the Engineering team to prepare project proposals and revisions. Provide oversight of engineering delivery from design through construction closeout.
- Ensure prompt and effective communication between staff during the design and construction phases, and report to key stakeholders including the Line Department and Chief Engineer’s Office.
- Contribute to the preparation Board items including project authorizations associated with major programs.
- Work with Design, Construction and the Line Departments on contracting and management strategies for the most efficient project delivery.
- Attend meetings with various internal and external stakeholders as the Engineering Department representative in order to advance the interests of the program while fostering improved cooperative relationships with all groups.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or Architecture from an accredited college or university
- A minimum of five (5) years’ experience in progressively more responsible positions in the development and delivery of A/E projects.
- Demonstrated experience in management, engineering design, and/or construction fields including establishment of plans, setting priorities, and incorporating facility requirements into project plans.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Project Management principles, methods and tools for developing, scheduling, coordinating, estimating, budget, and managing resources, including monitoring work.
- Demonstrated knowledge of assessment, procurement, project planning and development, and risk management protocols.
- Demonstrated experience in managing and influencing diverse work groups and project teams.
- Demonstrated customer service, decision-making, negotiation and problem solving , decision-making skills, and interpersonal skills.
- Registered Professional Engineer or Architect in the State of New York or New Jersey.
- Project Manager Professional Certification.
- Demonstrated knowledge of capital planning.
- Demonstrated experience with capital projects that involve significant design and construction elements including the monitoring and reporting of cost forecasts against budgets and the management of project schedules.
- Possess strong interpersonal, leadership, negotiation and problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Thorough knowledge of Engineering’s delivery process including design and construction management, construction estimating and project budgeting and scheduling.
- Knowledge and understanding of the Capital and Operating authorization processes.
- Demonstrated experience with alternative procurement strategies.
- Knowledge of management systems and platforms including PDPS, Wintrak, Primavera (P6 Schedules, Contract Manager, and Risk Analysis) as well as corporate systems such as People Soft and SAP, is a plus.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the "Apply Now" button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume. The Port Authority of NY & NJ welcomes veteran and military spouse applications.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority:
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than twenty three billion in annual wages and eighty billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.