This job posting is no longer active.
Senior Rail Planning Engineer – ATC
Level: NRYT 03
Division: Car Equipment
Location: Harrison Car Maintenance Facility
Note: This is a PATH position, and it contributes to the Railroad Retirement System.
Reporting to the Technical Services Supervisor of Car Equipment Division, the selected candidate will be responsible for a wide range of tasks associated with maintaining the Automated Train Control System installed on the PATH rolling stock. This position will require the candidate to become familiar with not only the ATC system but also with the Signaling and other train control related systems interfacing with ATC on the PA5 car. This candidate will be responsible for monitoring the performance of their assigned system(s) and provide recommended improvements and/or corrective action when necessary to improve reliability; developing specifications for new equipment; preparing and managing equipment procurement and maintenance contracts where required; preparing agenda items, Memorandum of Authorization/Justification where required; daily, monthly, and quarterly reporting will be expected. This position requires interpreting drawings, manuals and specifications directly and indirectly related to the ATC system. The candidate will be required to work in office, shop, and train yard environments.
- Must have a Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science.
- Applicants must meet performance standards, meet attendance standards, and complete all probationary periods.
- Minimum of 3 years practical experience in engineering.
- Demonstrated knowledge and practical experience with current rail transit technology.
- Able to interpret electrical and mechanical drawings.
- Familiarity with common testing tools (Digital Voltmeter, Function Generator, and Oscilloscope).
- Experience technical writing to a wide range of audiences.
- Experience working with Windows and Linux operating systems.
- Excellent oral, written, and presentation skills evidenced by proficiency in the common Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, and Power Point).
- Experience working with the Communication Based Train Control System utilized by the PATH PA5 car class.
- Minimum of 3 years working within a railroad as a Signaling Engineer.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the "Apply Now" button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume. The Port Authority of NY & NJ welcomes veteran and military spouse applications.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
The Port Authority Trans Hudson Corporation (PATH), an FRA-regulated commuter railroad, is the primary transit link between Manhattan and New Jersey communities and suburban commuter railroads. Carrying over 75 million passengers per year, PATH trains run 24 hours a day, seven days a week, one of the few 24-hour systems in the world. Since the early 20th Century, PATH and its predecessor, the Hudson & Manhattan Railroad, have carried passengers between New Jersey and points in Midtown and Lower Manhattan, serving as a key link in the region's transportation network and as a catalyst for continued residential, commercial and employment growth.
PATH operates 24 hours per day/7 days per week/365 days per year. Employees are required to work weekends, holidays, atypical hours (evening and midnight shifts) and during inclement weather conditions. Incumbents may be subjected to mandatory overtime at the beginning or end of their scheduled tour, or on their days off. A union seniority system dictates work schedules for jobs represented by one of PATH’s unions, and time off may not be immediately available during the usual summer and holiday periods. Working conditions will be challenging, including but not limited to inclement weather, direct contact with the public, in tunnel and outside areas during active train service, and an industrial environment. Commitment to attendance is expected and required.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.