This job posting is no longer active.
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey offers paid internships, providing students with the opportunity to work with experienced professionals on assignments critical to building, operating, and maintaining transportation and infrastructure assets in New York and New Jersey. Assignments include hands-on projects where interns quickly become part of the team and help the agency with its mission of keeping the region moving. The diversity of our businesses creates a variety of opportunities for students to gain exposure to the work of a first-class public agency.
The Aviation Department is looking for an intern to join the General Manager’s Office at LaGuardia Airport (LGA)!
About the General Manager’s Office:
The Aviation Department manages five airports at The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. Each airport has its own General Manager’s Office, comprised of the General Manager, Deputy General Manager, and assisting staff who are responsible for ensuring safe and efficient operations and coordination of the entire airport.
- Support day-to-day operations and business/administrative activities at LGA
- Calendar coordination/meetings between the General Manager, Deputy General Manager, senior staff, Port Authority staff, federal agencies, and stakeholders
- Prepare presentations and spreadsheets
- Solicit for and compose Weekly Highlight entries for submission to the Aviation Director’s Office.\
- Assist with tour coordination and processing terminal access gate pass requests
- Assist and coordinate Employee Appreciation Day Event
- Assist with coordinating Kiwanis Kid’s Day Event
- Take actionable item meeting minutes for Monthly Senior Staff Meeting
- Coordinate and facilitate “A Day in the Role” meetings with senior staff and Peer Check-Ins
- Provide logistical support for high priority projects and day-to-day operational needs for the General Manager's Office
- Establish a new SharePoint site for the General Manager's Office to ensure shared access by key staff to current and historic files
- Enrollment in an undergraduate or graduate program through the Fall 2024 semester (August 2024 or beyond)
- Experience with Microsoft apps such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Teams, SharePoint, OneDrive, etc.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Interest in contributing to the success of the New York and New Jersey region
- Interest in public service and/or transportation
- Willingness to learn
- Must be able to pass fingerprint-based Criminal History Record Check as mandated by 49 CFR 1542 and will be required to obtain and maintain an airport Security Identification Display Area (SIDA) ID card
- Undergraduate student in junior or senior year
- Major in Aviation Administration, Business Administration, or a related field
- Demonstrates excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with staff at all levels, both within and outside the Port Authority
- Demonstrates understanding of aviation and airport functions
- Strong ability to think critically and conduct research
- The start date will be Thursday, May 30 with an orientation that will take place at 4 World Trade Center in Lower Manhattan
- The internship will last 12 weeks, ending on Friday, August 23
- This is a full-time internship (generally 5 days per week at 7.25 hours of work per day plus a 45-minute break)
- The format is expected to be hybrid, 2 days virtual and 3 days in-person at LaGuardia Airport
- The hourly salary range is $17.20 to $28.85 (the hourly salary is determined by internship type and school year)
- These details are subject to change
How to Apply:
- Click “Apply Now”
- Follow the prompts
- Please submit the following with your application:
- A resume that clearly indicates your expected graduation date
- A cover letter detailing why you want to intern at The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the "Apply Now" button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume. The Port Authority of NY & NJ welcomes veteran and military spouse applications.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority:
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than twenty three billion in annual wages and eighty billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.