Under the supervision of the Chief Mechanical Engineer, the successful candidate will be responsible for directing, supervising technical staff in the preparation and delivery of the Engineering Department workload in support of the Agency capital and operating programs for Aviation facilities. Programs include engineering studies, including reports and computations, and contract documents in accordance with the Agency’s project delivery process (i.e. Stages I thru IV).
Responsibilities also include but are not limited to the following:
- Interpret, organize, execute and coordinate assignments.
- Plan and develop engineering projects concerned with unique or controversial complexities which have important impact on agency capital and operating programs
- Manage and develop project scopes, design criteria, and novel concepts as well as budget for design services and design schedules
- Manage and audit the design services performed by consultants.
- Manage the staff to ensure design services meet quality standards and Quality Control Program
- Track project conformance to budget and schedule plan and take corrective actions when required
- Act as the primary contact with the Line Department(s) and provide expert advice on infrastructure needs, and capital and operating programs development.
- Track planned workload well in advance of delivery dates and develop strategies to deliver services meeting required schedules using in-house or consultant resources
- Provide effective guidance and supervision to assigned staff. Review staff, implement development plans, and provide or arrange training of assigned staff
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- Possess a Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering from an accredited university or college.
- Minimum of twelve or more years progressively responsible diversified experience in the mechanical engineering design of heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems for commercial/institutional buildings, central heating and refrigeration plants, air handling and thermal distribution systems.
- Working knowledge and experience with various codes including New York State, New York City, and New Jersey building codes as well as local codes.
- Proven ability to lead, manage, and prioritize multiple assignments with multiple disciplines.
- Possesses a Professional Engineer License in the State of New York or New Jersey
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
- Self-motivated and experienced in working in a team environment.
- Proficiency and effectiveness in written and oral communication skills are essential.
- Demonstrated experience working independently, handle simultaneous project and complex matters, under tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated experience in problem solving, negotiations and conflict resolution skills to effectively reach sound conclusions and recommendations.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships at all level
- Proficient in the use of various computer programs such as Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Building HVAC Load Analysis.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the "Apply Now" button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume. The Port Authority of NY & NJ welcomes veteran and military spouse applications.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority:
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than twenty three billion in annual wages and eighty billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.