This job posting is no longer active.
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey’s Office of Sustainability is seeking a dynamic and experienced Manager, Business Planning & Initiatives.
The Office of Sustainability (OS) develops the agency’s sustainability policy, greenhouse gas reduction targets, and strategies to ensure policy goals are met. It is also instrumental in ideating and developing major sustainability programs and projects, which it helps implement working with other Agency departments.
Sustainability is one of six key priorities for the Port Authority that focus on how the agency achieves its mission to “keep the region moving.” In November 2021, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey became the first public transportation agency in the United States to embrace a Net-Zero greenhouse gas (GHG) target, with 35% and 50% reduction targets by 2025 and 2030 respectively for direct emissions, building to a net-zero target by 2050 from emissions across all operations.
This will be a dynamic role providing broad programmatic and business support to the department and OS leadership. The selected candidate will work extensively with OS leadership as it relates to a variety of initiatives. The selected candidate will bring extensive experience in the areas of project/program management, change management, stakeholder management and data reporting.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provide programmatic oversight of all ongoing sustainability initiatives;
- Examples include the Clean Dozen, Net Zero Initiatives, energy efficiency projects, and the vehicle electrification program.
- Serve as point-of-contact with internal capital project delivery stakeholders;
- Stakeholders include Engineering Program Delivery, Project Management Office, Office of Financial Planning, Management and Budget, Procurement, Office of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion and Line Department project management staff.
- Serve as point-of-contact on capital project approvals and authorizations;
- Stakeholder coordination in support of the Director’s goal of integrating sustainable design into all applicable projects across the agency’s capital and operating portfolios;
- In coordination with the OS Program Managers, Line Departments, and Engineering, support the early identification and development of project/program scopes, schedules, and order-of-magnitude estimates for OS-led sustainability projects;
- Monitoring of project and program spending and schedule performance, in coordination with OS Program Managers and Line Department project management staff;
- Provide assistance to the team in obtaining standardized reports from agency-wide project control systems, as well as the development of ad hoc reports as required;
- Lead/support departmental improvement initiatives, including training development & delivery, OCI-facilitated Lean efforts, process mapping & documentation, and the creation of departmental policies, procedure, and guidelines as required;
- Other responsibilities or related duties as assigned.
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- Bachelor’s Degree in environmental science, sustainability, business, management, policy or related field from an accredited college or university;
- Minimum of seven (7) years progressively responsible experience in operations, business management, policy, strategy, project management, analysis, planning or policy development;
- Demonstrated strength in problem solving, process improvement and change management;
- Demonstrated ability to establish and execute plans, set priorities, coordinate activities, manage time and multi-task;
- Demonstrated data analysis experience.
Ideal candidates will present the following:
- Demonstrated experience providing strategic or operational support to senior level executives or management;
- Advanced degree in environmental science, sustainability, business, management, policy or related field from an accredited college or university;
- Ability to communicate complex topics with senior leadership, line business and facility staff, stakeholders and contractors;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to make concise presentations for a variety of audiences;
- Ability to develop and implement complex strategic plans that achieve major business goals;
- Demonstrated experience organizing a demanding workload with the ability to work in a high-pressure environment with multiple tasks due in a tight timeframe.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the "Apply Now" button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume. The Port Authority of NY & NJ welcomes veteran and military spouse applications.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority:
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than twenty three billion in annual wages and eighty billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.