The Technology Department is seeking a General Manager for the Port Authority’s Network Infrastructure group. Responsibilities focus on overall operation support, including administrative oversight of various contracts, finances, group/department processes, project management, design, and operation support/maintenance of the agency’s data and voice networks. The ideal candidate is a strategic thinker with a focused understanding of network and system technologies. Under the supervision of the Assistant Director of Network Infrastructure and the CTO, the role requires strong leadership abilities including effective communication with key technical and supervisory personnel in a multi-modal transportation agency and with external entities such as service providers and contracted technical firms.
- Manage the Network Operations Team with the procurement of goods and services required to run the business, including vendor negotiations and contract support.
- Manage and enhance existing process flow.
- Manage the Network Design and Implementation Team with the procurement of goods and services required to run the business, including vendor negotiations and contract support. Oversight of overall contract management with service/equipment vendors and service providers.
- Oversight of the Data Center Team with the procurement of goods and services required to run the business, including vendor negotiations and contract support.
- Oversee the agency change control process and communication with outside technical entities. Support Server Infrastructure Team with the procurement of goods and services required to run the business, including vendor negotiations and contract support.
- Weekly event reporting to the AD and CTO specific to major project milestones/completions and operational issues that affect business continuity to the agency.
- Document standards and concepts of operation specific to network infrastructure, operations, and associated processes.
- Liaison to internal Technology Department (TEC) groups.
- Liaison to major agency line departments and functional support groups outside of TEC.
- Ensure understanding of network requirements and industry regulations.
- Direct the financial and budgeting interests of the Network Infrastructure group.
- Assist in network project planning.
- Collaboration and Leadership: Lead a team of network professionals, providing technical guidance, mentoring, and training. Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including system administrators, developers, and project managers, to ensure seamless integration of network solutions with other IT systems. Vendor management, contract negotiations, and procurement activities.
- Continuous Improvement: Proactively identify opportunities for process improvement and innovation. Stay informed about industry trends and emerging technologies to recommend and implement network enhancements, automation, and process optimizations. Participate in or lead after-action assessments and post-implementation reviews and provide feedback to refine network designs and operations.
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- A minimum of 10 years of experience working in network communication and operations
- A minimum of 5 years senior management
- Mastery of network hardware and software technologies, including routers, switches, firewalls, load balancers, and network management tools.
- Understanding of network security principles and practices, including VPNs, firewalls, IDS/IPS, and secure remote access.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, with the ability to assess complex situations and propose effective solutions.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to collaborate effectively with cross-functional teams and present complex technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders.
- A strong grasp of LAN, WAN and Unified Communications architectures
- Must have hands-on technical network experience (LAN/WAN)
- Understanding of networking concepts (DHCP, VPN, subnetting, ACLs, VLANs, etc.)
- Troubleshooting experience resolving complex network issues
- Knowledge of structured cable system design and implementations (IEEE Cat 6, single/multimode fiber, etc.)
- Ability to clearly communicate technical terms to non-technical audiences.
- Ability to report to C-level managements staff effectively and in a timely manner.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to document topology information using MS Visio
- Proficient in Word/Excel
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, information technology, or a related field. A master's degree is a plus.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the "Apply Now" button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume. The Port Authority of NY & NJ welcomes veteran and military spouse applications.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority:
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than twenty three billion in annual wages and eighty billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.