As a Watch Engineer / Stationary Engineer
you will operate and maintain heating and cooling systems for Port Authority facilities and grow your skills in a wide variety of duties involving the installation, maintenance, repairs and diagnosis of high/low-pressure heating and HVAC systems as well as fire protection life safety systems. Watch Engineers act as the Port Authority’s leaders for the safe and efficient operation of utility systems and auxiliary equipment and further our mission to provide best-in-class services to our patrons. We are hiring for locations at various facilities located in New York and New Jersey.
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- High School Diploma or GED from an accredited institution
- Three years of full-time paid work experience in the HVAC/Utility Systems handling high pressure boilers, steam, and refrigeration equipment
- Possess a U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) issued Refrigerant Technician's Certificate (RTC)
- Possess a Valid Driver’s License
Depending on the facility you are assigned to, one of the following licenses is required either at the time of appointment or within a specified amount of time upon employment:
- High-Pressure Steam Boiler Operators License issued by New York City OR New Jersey Blue Seal Steam Boiler Operator’s License (Blue Seal - Class I, Grade C or above) issued by the State of New Jersey (at the time of hire) OR a facility that does not operate a high pressure plant may accept a New York City S12 City Wide Sprinkler Systems certificate or a New York City S13 City Wide Standpipe Systems certificate or a New Jersey Black Seal Boiler Operator’s License instead
- New York City Refrigeration Machine Operator's License OR Blue Seal Refrigeration Machine Operator's License (Class II) issued by the State of New Jersey (at the time of hire)
- Certificate in Pesticide Application in NY or NJ (selected applicants without a Pesticide application certificate in New York or New Jersey must obtain this certificate within six months of employment)
- Class B Commercial Driver's License (CDL) with the Air Brakes endorsement or higher Applicants without a Class B CDL must obtain a Class B CDL Permit with endorsement before their first day of work and will be required to obtain a Class B CDL with endorsement within three months of employment.
Applicants should refer to the following websites for further information on obtaining a CDL and medical clearance for CDL Licensing:
Applicants under consideration will be contacted via email for testing.
Selected qualified candidates will be invited to participate in a written test that will measure the candidate's knowledge in areas such as:
- High-Pressure and Low-Pressure Heating
- Heating Systems
- A/C and Refrigeration Systems
- Auxiliary Equipment; Pumps and Controls
- Fire Protection, Fire Safety and Sprinkler Systems
- HVAC Electrical Systems, maintaining and servicing maintenance components
Successful written-test candidates will be invited to participate in a hands-on practical exam that is designed to measure the candidate's knowledge, skills and ability in areas such as: working at heights; troubleshooting a rooftop furnace unit; installation of heating zones; installation of HVAC controls; creating a steel pipe & copper pipe loop; and may be required to demonstrate proficiency in central heating and refrigeration plant operation (e.g., four 50 million BTU hot water generators and four 2000-ton chiller units).
A $25 non-refundable/non-transferable testing fee payable by MasterCard, Visa or a pre-paid credit card is required for the written test. The testing fee will be waived for qualified active, reserve or veteran of the US Armed Forces or candidates receiving certain forms of public assistance who submit the required documentation.
Selected candidates will be subject to a comprehensive background check and will be asked to provide copies of the required licenses for verification.
Compensation & Benefits:
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey offers a competitive salary, an outstanding benefits package and a professional environment that supports development and recognizes achievement.
- Starting Salary: $50.05 per hour
Only candidates under consideration will be contacted and will be subject to a comprehensive background check.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the "Apply Now" button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume. The Port Authority of NY & NJ welcomes veteran and military spouse applications.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority:
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than twenty three billion in annual wages and eighty billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.