Reporting to the Manager, Geographical Information Systems (GIS), the Geographical Information Systems (GIS) Specialist serves as a technical resource responsible for developing, updating, analyzing, and managing geospatial data, including but not limited to, data quality assurance, compliance with Agency-wide geospatial standards and industry best practices, and verification and corrections as required to address the business needs of the Port Department. It also provides GIS expertise to support senior management, asset management team, leasing team, project teams, and other stakeholders within the Port Authority with a strong emphasis on teamwork, sense of urgency, and continuous improvement. This position supports development of agency-wide initiatives related to digital transformation.
- Utilizes GIS applications and techniques to effectively analyze and visualize complex geospatial data for short-term and long-term project management and leasing needs.
- Designs, develops and manages geodatabases in support of mapping activities relative to project locations, leases, infrastructure assets and other physical features.
- Effectively coordinates the alignment, aggregation, and utilization of geospatial data in a common data environment for information related to all of the Port facilities and functional groups.
- Prepares visually appealing, accurate maps to represent land use, socioeconomic factors, air quality, noise, visuals, wetlands, natural resources, soil/water/air sampling locations, chemical analysis results, groundwater or concentration contours, other environmental constraints, property boundaries, project design, limit of disturbance, and other spatial parameters as required by the Port Department.
- Perform data interoperability tasks as needed to provide integrations, imports and exports and data exchanges between CAD, GIS and other formats as applicable.
- Supports development of spatial and related attribute data in Esri’s ArcGIS software, including geo-referencing existing asset information, project plans, drawings, maps, and diagrams; digitizing and geocoding data; and management of field collected mobile geo-data.
- Develops effective communications with a broad range of internal and external stakeholders, ensuring timely resolution of issues.
- Travel to facilities to support GIS-related activities as needed or directed.
- Reports to the GIS Manager or Project Manager on the overall status of development of all geospatial data and content.
- Apply industry best practices to ensure that geospatial data and applications are configured for optimized performance.
- Be able to train other staff on the use of ArcGIS for Desktop to manage GIS data
- Performs other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Geography, Computer Science, Engineering, or a related field.
- Minimum of 2 years of progressively responsible experience with the Esri software platform, including ArcGIS Desktop (ArcMAP and ArcGIS Pro) and ArcGIS Web applications (ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Portal)
- In-depth knowledge and experience in utilization of GIS software (ESRI ArcGIS).
- Experience in managing database functions and queries, spatial analysis, and database integration.
- Ability to create visual communication tools for internal and external audiences covering a broad range of stakeholders.
- Selected candidate will be required to pass a Federal Security Background check and obtain a Transportation Workers Identification Credential (TWIC) to work in a maritime environment as required by Department of Homeland Security.
- A valid driver's license, as the position will require the incumbent to travel independently to the various Port facilities in New York and New Jersey, and construction sites within the facility, which are not easily accessible via public transportation.
- Proficiency in applying related techniques and tools.
- Experience with ArcGIS Enterprise, particularly in the Microsoft Azure cloud environment
- Excellent geospatial analytical skills.
- Experience in delivering within a fast-paced, detail-oriented environment highly preferred.
- Experience in Office 365 secure cloud environment including Power BI, SharePoint, and Power Automate preferred.
- Ability to work well under pressure and independently strategize to meet goals and deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively with all levels of the organization, including senior executives.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the "Apply Now" button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume. The Port Authority of NY & NJ welcomes veteran and military spouse applications.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority:
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than twenty three billion in annual wages and eighty billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.