This job posting is no longer active.
TITLE: Manager, Security Technology & Communications
LEVEL: Band 5
DEPARTMENT: Chief Security Office
DIVISION: SOPD - Security Technology
LOCATION: Port Authority Technical Center
The selected candidate will be required to undergo a background investigation conducted by the Port Authority Police Department (PAPD)
The Security Technology Unit is responsible for supporting the on-going technology planning, delivery, and maintenance of security technology and counter-terrorism technologies and systems within the Office of the Chief Security Officer’s Security Operations and Programs Department (SOPD). The Manager, Security Technology and Communications reports to the Program Director of the Security Technology Unit and is responsible for ensuring best-in-class management and maintenance of security technology across the Agency.
Responsibilities include the management of the research, testing, procurement, deployment, maintenance, and expansion of technology solutions. Providing program management and operational support for key security technologies and communicate internally on new products, solutions, and applications for new and existing implementations. This includes technology and systems used by the Port Authority Police Department (PAPD) as well as civilian and contract security staff throughout the Agency. The Manager will drive collaboration to ensure proper project planning and implementation occurs. Technology examples include but are not limited to computer-aided dispatch, mobile field reporting, records management, license plate readers, card access control, CCTV, video analytics, CBRN, Public Safety Life Safety (PSLS) Radio systems, perimeter intrusion detection, unmanned threat detection (drone), vehicle and personnel security screening, situational awareness systems and other specialty sensor-based systems all in effort to address contemporary threats to the region and Agency assets.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Provide a comprehensive best-in-class Security Technology Program that will mitigate evolving and contemporary threats. Provide the PAPD and civilian guard force security technology solutions that are reliable, scalable and include the required cybersecurity controls
- Ensure 24/7 support is performed for critical PAPD systems and applications to provide continuity of PAPD operations including the CJIS network, PAPD Radio and communications, and the PAPD Computer Aided Dispatch and Records Management System. Maintain 24/7 application support hotline to assist PAPD officer with application questions.
- Manage a team of assistant managers and their staff of technology analysts to identify and deliver innovative security solutions for the Port Authority Police Department and civilian security teams across the agency. Ensure investment in the workforce by developing a training program that will enhance staff skillset
- Develop, manage, and track technology project life-cycle plan for a portfolio of projects and initiatives from inception, implementation, acceptance, and maintenance while adhering to timelines, budgets, regulations, and standards
- Develop and maintain a master plan and schedule including currently deployed software/hardware, replacement needs, and implementation of new tools and technology while considering any integrations and interfaces (both new and existing)
- Provide oversite of technology vendors and service providers to manage open contracts to ensure timely implementation, adherence to Service Level Agreements, and budget allocations
- Develop and deliver presentations, reports, and metrics related to project status updates, technology pilot reports, standards and guidelines documents, implementation plans, etc.
- Assist in the procurement cycle including scope development, funding strategies, and deployment durations for the portfolio of projects, including new contracts for new systems as well as renewal contracts for existing systems
- Review Concept of Operations, Standard Operating Procedures, Security Manuals, and all other plans related to security technology systems for effectiveness and make recommendations for overall compliance with policies and standards
- Ensure all security technologies comply with agency cybersecurity standards
- Oversee projects regarding the upgrade, testing, contracting and installation of agency security and radio communications technologies
- Develop interactive relationships with governmental and private, external security organizations, to ensure the Agency conforms to best practices of the industry
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- Bachelor’s degree in security, Electrical/Computer Engineering, Technology or related field from an accredited college or university.
- A minimum of seven (7) years of progressively responsible management experience including supervisory experience in the technology or security field.
- Demonstrable experience with security technologies, hardware, software and associated IT systems
- Superior interpersonal skills to interact with staff at all levels, supporting departments, consultants and outside agencies.
- Experience developing or maintaining physical security protocols, including creating policy, procedure, and operation manuals, using industry best practices.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office365 Suite - Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook
- Capable of travel within the Port District (generally the NY Metro Area) to Port Authority facilities for walk-throughs, evaluations, project meetings, etc. as required
- Candidate must pass a Port Authority Police background check
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
- Demonstrated knowledge or ability to learn Port Authority management process and procedures
- Proven ability to identify problems, assess the accuracy and relevance of information, use sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, develop consensus, and make recommendations
- Demonstrated ability developing successful strategies to achieve broad program and business goals and understanding the impacts on various key stakeholders both within and outside the Port Authority as well as how they interact
- Extensive experience and knowledge of the principles, methods, and tools for developing, scheduling, coordinating, and managing initiatives and resources
- Extensive presentation and documentation capabilities, required to present initiatives, project status updates, and budget proposals to executive management
- Understanding of TCP/IP network topologies
- Well versed in electronics fundamentals related to radio and computer systems
- Excellent oral and written presentation skills
- Experience working with Security Technologies e.g. Access Control, CCTV, License Plate threat detectors and sensors
- Demonstrated ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects with minimal supervision
- Demonstrated flexibility to work on multiple projects in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to deal with confidential/sensitive information
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the "Apply Now" button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume. The Port Authority of NY & NJ welcomes veteran and military spouse applications.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority:
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than twenty three billion in annual wages and eighty billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.