This job posting is no longer active.
Join one of the most diverse and innovative electrical engineering design groups with multiple specialties within the transportation sector. The Port Authority’s airports, ports, ferries, tunnels, bridges, bus terminals and rail transportation systems are important transportation links in the region. The Port Authority electrical engineering group provides engineering design services and prepares preliminary and final documents for innovative planning, design, construction and operation of the most critical electrical and electronics assets within the Port Authority facilities. The electrical engineering group is part of a multi-discipline group of engineers and other design professionals that form the Engineering Department of the Agency.
Under the general supervision of the Chief Electrical Engineer, Engineering Dept. Design Division, the candidate will be responsible for electrical system design services under the PATH Traction Power Design Portfolio. The successful candidate will be responsible for directing, advising, performing, guiding and leading electrical design activities; managing resources to achieve goals and prioritizing work assignments to deliver projects within the established scope, budget and schedule.
Electrical Systems generally include:
- Medium Voltage Distribution including 27kV, 15kV and 5kV systems and associated distribution equipment
- DC power distribution systems and associated distribution equipment
- Medium Voltage Traction Power Substations
- Traction power system analysis and simulations
- Low Voltage Distribution System and associated equipment
- Existing and new underground duct bank consist of low and medium voltage power feeders
- Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) and monitoring systems
- Fire Alarm Systems
- Outdoor/Indoor Lighting Systems
- Grounding and lightning protection
- Prepare, or provide oversight and review for the preparation of, biddable Contract Documents for design-bid-build (DBB) contracts, consisting of drawings, technical specifications, and construction cost estimates to meet the requirements of the Client Department within established scope, schedule, and budget.
- Prepare, or provide oversight and review for the preparation of, Request for Qualifications (RFQ) and Request for Proposal (RFP) Documents for design-build (DB) contracts, including the Requirements and Provisions for Work (RPW), Conceptual Design Drawings, technical specifications, and cost estimates for design and construction.
- Develop preliminary conceptual design work and planning documents for Capital Projects and Major Work Programs with design alternatives and associated cost, for planning and funding of future projects.
- Review preliminary and detailed cost estimates and schedules, design criteria for new construction of electrical projects, and designs for the alteration of existing electrical systems and infrastructure. Review criteria including tolerances, dimensions, shapes and sizes, and determine the properties required in materials and feasible construction methods.
- Provide guidance and direction in Engineering design, including technical analyses, and associated economic studies and make recommendations.
- Ensure technical integrity, code compliance, safety, efficient operation, maintainability, and sound economics of assigned projects.
- Ensure that projects are coordinated with other disciplines, facility operators and outside entities (manufacturer’s representatives, utilities, consulting engineers and contractors).
- Manage staff and on-sire support staff, to ensure design services meet quality standards and Quality Control Program
- Manage staff participation in the witnessing of system acceptance testing and field commissioning, including startup and troubleshooting of Electrical systems. Ensure technical integrity, code and standards compliance, efficient operation, maintainability, and minimum downtime of the systems.
- Supervise and direct staff in the preparation of Scope of Work and design criteria for all projects involving consultants.
- Audit consultant’s design and work progress. Ensure that consultant’s designs conform to their assigned Scope of Work, applicable codes, Port Authority Design Standards, are delivered on-time, and cost is kept within budget. Provide technical assistance to facilities. Designs must ensure safe and reliable operation of facilities.
- Act as the primary technical contact with the Line Department and provide expert advice on infrastructure needs, and capital and operating programs development.
- Collaborate with facility personnel and other departments to incorporate lessons learned and improvements in final contract documents.
- Provide guidance and direction in answering questions of bidders regarding contract provisions.
- Ensure that Port Authority facilities are designed in accordance with the most advanced technology available in coordination with facility operations.
- Maintain knowledge of current technology and equipment in all relevant areas, as indicated above, for electronic and communication systems.
- Provide effective guidance and supervision to assigned staff, conduct performance reviews, implement development plans, and provide or arrange for training of assigned staff.
- Perform field surveys and inspections as required.
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering with experience with Traction Power Distribution System Design.
- Licensed Professional Engineer in the State of New York or New Jersey, or be eligible and actively pursue obtaining the required professional license within 12 to 18 months on the job.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- A minimum of twelve (12) years of experience in professional engineering work with principal experience in electrical systems design and specification writing for traction power and medium voltage electrical distribution systems.
- Proven ability to lead, manage, and prioritize multiple assignments with multiple disciplines.
- Demonstrated experience in problem solving, negotiations and conflict resolution skills to effectively reach sound conclusions and recommendations.
- Demonstrated and working knowledge of Local, State and Federal codes and standards.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to work efficiently, independently (with direct reports) and prioritize as required.
- Proficient in the use of software applications, such as AutoCAD and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Proficiency in preparing contract drawings such as power distribution single line, riser and interconnection diagrams, equipment layouts, plans, sections and standard details.
- Demonstrated experience in leading project teams in the preparation of engineering designs including preparation of proposals, design coordination, schedule reporting, budget reporting and briefing senior staff.
- Proficiency in performing electrical calculations such as equipment sizing, short circuit and coordination studies, voltage drop, load studies etc.
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
- Master’s Degree in Electrical/Electronic Engineering
- Experience in electrical systems design including, substation design, underground power distribution, high, medium and low voltage power distribution, emergency power, electric motors and controls, grounding, lighting, lightning protection and SCADA systems.
- Experience in preparing scope of work and design criteria for all projects involving consultants and auditing of consultant’s design and progress. Prior experience supervising professional and technical staff.
- Thorough understanding of PSE&G high and medium voltage system manuals and specifications
- Experience in factory testing, field testing and commissioning of medium and low voltage power distribution system equipment
- Proficiency in the use of power analysis software such as ETAP, EZ Power and SKM Systems Analysis,
- Proficiency in the use of Visual 3D lighting design software
- Thorough knowledge of NFPA, NEMA, IEEE, ANSI codes and standards
- Proficiency in Bluebeam and Revit MEP
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the "Apply Now" button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume. The Port Authority of NY & NJ welcomes veteran and military spouse applications.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority:
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than twenty three billion in annual wages and eighty billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.