This job posting is no longer active.
Reporting to a Principal Structural Engineer in the Engineering Department Design Division, the Senior Structural Engineer will be responsible for: conducting field inspections, evaluating field conditions and structural deficiencies, assessing remaining useful design life of structures, preparing engineering reports, developing creative design solutions, preparing contract drawings, specifications and construction cost estimates for new structures and rehabilitation of existing structures, reviewing consultant and contractor submittals, as well as structural aspects of projects lead by another discipline and leading multi-discipline design projects for which structural is the lead discipline.
The successful candidate will manage the development of structural scope, preparation of Contract Documents, and the performance of consultants for both building and bridge construction. As Project Engineer, the successful candidate will guide and audit consultant designs including structural design criteria, design approach, construction details, design computation, construction staging, technical specifications, construction cost estimates and schedule, and construction support services. The Senior Structural Engineer will provide critical guidance to all stakeholders, ensuring conformance with current NYC Building Code, AASHTO Specifications for highway bridges, NYSDOT and NYCDOT design standards, Port Authority Structural Design Guidelines and the PA Tenant Construction Review Manual. The Senior Engineer will also coordinate the design services between disciplines and ensure that projects are delivered in conformance with the Agency's Engineering Design Division QA/QC and project delivery guidelines.
Responsibilities will also include but not be limited to the following:
- Preparing preliminary and detailed structural design criteria for new construction and for the alteration of existing structures, including member sizes, material properties etc.
- Leading Structural Effort to address necessary priority repairs of Port Authority facilities, including but not limited to George Washington Bridge, Outerbridge Crossing, Port Authority Bus Terminal, Holland and Lincoln Tunnels, PATH, Aviation, including JFK International, Newark International, and LaGuardia Airports, as necessary to maintain the structures and operations in a functional state of good repair, and for development of Capital Improvements to these facilities, such as the GWB “Restore the George”, Newark Airport Redevelopment and JFK Redevelopment.
- Overseeing in-house design efforts, as well as the work of expert call-in consultants, ensuring proper coordination with all stakeholders.
- Preparing design alternatives, associated costs and recommendations for the Client Department, for future planning and funding of projects.
- Preparing biddable and constructible Final Design Contract Documents to meet the requirements of the Client Department within time schedules and budgets.
- Ensuring that projects are coordinated with other disciplines, Client Department facilities and outside stakeholders, and minimizing disruption of normal facility operations.
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- Bachelor's Degree in Civil/Structural Engineering from an ABET accredited engineering college or university.
- Professional Engineer license in the State of New York and/or New Jersey
- A minimum of 12 years structural design experience in design and contract document preparation, including experience with small scale and major design projects ($5 million or more construction contract value), with five or more years functioning as a lead structural design engineer.
- Design experience in the field of structural engineering, with a high concentration in design of short and medium span bridges, design of buildings and ancillary structures, and construction techniques.
- Structural inspection experience.
- Ability to work effectively within a multi-discipline design team.
- Working knowledge of all local codes and ordinances governing the design of building/bridge structures, including but not limited to the NYC Building Code, IBC code, Unified Facilities Criteria and AASHTO Specifications for Highway Bridges
- Sound understanding of construction engineering.
- Proficiency in preparing contract drawings.
- Experience and proficiency in the use of computer software for structural analysis and design.
- Proficiency in the use of software such as Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint and TEAMS.
- Candidate must also have a valid driver’s license.
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
- Proven ability to lead, manage and prioritize multiple high profile, multi-discipline engineering assignments.
- Strong conceptualization, problem solving, decision-making and conflict resolution skills from experience in routine and large-scale transportation projects.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to work independently and prioritize as required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent presentation skills, including experience making presentations to staff and outside stakeholders.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the "Apply Now" button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume. The Port Authority of NY & NJ welcomes veteran and military spouse applications.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority:
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than twenty three billion in annual wages and eighty billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.