The successful candidate will lead and manage a group within Traffic Engineering in the delivery of traffic engineering design for capital projects, service engineering, redevelopment programs and/or critical design efforts within the agency. The candidate may also provide oversight in real-time traffic management operations, developing mitigation strategies such as optimizing frontage use for pedestrians, vehicles and ground transportation, monitoring and reporting the transportation system through cameras, sensors and other technology, and making informed decisions on ways to handle the transportation systems at each PANYNJ facility.
The candidate will supervise professional and technical staff, including Port Authority employees and consultants. As the majority of the traffic engineering services for PANYNJ are being performed by consultants, the successful candidate will be the primary PANYNJ contact for the consultants. The Principal Engineer’s responsibilities will include overseeing staff as they prepare transportation management plans, traffic engineering planning studies, traffic operations studies and traffic safety studies, contract drawings, specifications and cost estimates, transportation technologies (ITS) initiatives, and construction traffic support. The successful candidate will also be responsible for coordinating with the Executive Director, Senior Agency Leadership, Line Department and facility operations staff as required.
Responsibilities also include but are not limited to the following:
- Mentor assigned staff to ensure appropriate development of technical and management skills and knowledge. Promote team spirit, creativity and professional development.
- Properly delegate work responsibility to assigned staff and ensure that staff time is used in an efficient manner. Ensure the production of complete, quality work that meets the customer's needs, and that all work reflects a rational decision-making process with a solid technical basis. Manage and audit design work and studies performed by consultants.
- Manage staff workload and identify additional staffing needs and work with Chief Traffic Engineer to fill those needs.
- Supervise the development of all technical work and ensure proper coordination with all appropriate internal and external stakeholders, and perform quality control review. Monitor work progress, especially schedules and budgets, and ensure that project delivery metrics are met. Anticipate problems and take preventive/corrective action.
- Support leadership for transportation management at PANYNJ facilties and lead meetings with internal and external stakeholders
- Provide support, guidance, and input into transportation technology devices necessary for monitoring, reporting and systems management.
- Serve as the point of contact with consultant firms performing work.
- Serve as interagency liasion with partnering transportation agencies on technical coordination.
- Develop and maintain records of all project agreements, finances, reports and documents
- Assist Chief Traffic Engineer with administrative tasks as required.
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering with major coursework in Civil/Transportation Engineering from an ABET-accredited college or university.
- Must be a Licensed Professional Engineer (P.E.) in NY or NJ, or have the ability to obtain via reciprocity within 6 months.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in progressively more difficult and responsible traffic engineering work in the areas of operations, transportation management, safety, planning, ITS, and/or design is required.
- Examples of relevant experience include traffic planning studies and traffic simulation; geometric design; traffic safety studies; develping transportation management plans; ITS system planning and design; traffic operations including signal operations, sign systems, roadside safety features, and pavement marking design; preparation of contract drawings, technical specifications and cost estimates; constrution traffic support; and transportation systems operations/management.
- Demonstrated experience in establishing project plans, setting priorities, coordinating activities, handling multiple tasks simultaneously and delegating tasks and responsibilities that are multi-faceted and complex.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and experience managing a diverse workforce with varying work backgrounds, expertise, and levels.
- Demonstrated superior interpersonal skills interacting with staff at all levels, supporting departments, consultants, and members of outside government and transportation agencies.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must meet performance and attendance standards and have completed all probationary periods at the time of appointment to this position.
- Must have a valid auto driver license.
Ideal candidates will also present the following qualifications:
- Possession of a Master’s Degree in Transportation Planning and Engineering.
- Thorough knowledge of and experience with applying concepts from the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD), Highway Capacity Manual (HCM), AASHTO Green Book, and AASHTO Roadside Design Guide.
- Demonstrated experience in the Traffic Engineering and Transportation Systems Management fields.
- Possession of certification as a Professional Traffic Operations Engineer (PTOE).
- Demonstrated experience leading teams on large scale, dynamic, and fast paced Projects and/or Redevelopment-type Programs.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the "Apply Now" button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume. The Port Authority of NY & NJ welcomes veteran and military spouse applications.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority:
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than twenty three billion in annual wages and eighty billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.