This position is responsible for providing technical leadership and oversight for the Traffic Engineering (TE) group for all transportation planning and analysis services performed in support of Capital Programs and operational improvements to existing vehicular and pedestrian facilities. This role includes development of functional plans for various modes of transportation, including vehicle and pedestrian movements, and transportation analyses to help support planning level work. A key component of this work includes the support of ongoing construction that impacts traffic flow to maintain mobility at PANYNJ’s facilities, which requires fast paced decisions to be made based upon on-demand traffic analysis services. This position will be responsible for leading the planning of projects by managing a team of on-site/extension of staff consultants performing work.
Responsibilities also include but are not limited to the following:
- Serving a lead role delivering transportation planning and analysis work for PANYNJ Facilities.
- Apply knowledge of traffic planning concepts of data collection, capacity analysis, traffic forecasting, traffic modeling and simulation, and trip assignments, to prepare and/or review planning studies, reports.
- Development of functional plans to support various modes of transportation, including arterials, streets, sidewalks, parking facilities, etc.
- Providing leadership in guiding Traffic Engineering’s vision for traffic analysis and modeling work
- Managing PANYNJ staff and consultants, providing design leadership and direction, and ensure plans and designs conform to applicable standards/guidelines/codes.
- Collaborating with PANYNJ Facilities, Redevelopment Teams and Line Departments.
- Develop, review, and/or manage traffic-related scopes of work, budgets, and schedules for planning and analysis work. Negotiate schedules and budgets with Line Department and consultants as needed.
- Perform external transportation agency coordination as needed for Redevelopment, Capital and Operating programs.
- Succession planning to ensure continuity in staff expertise in planning and concept design
- Guide and direct junior staff in engineering planning and design approach.
- Participate in and/or conduct internal and external meetings.
- Developing and maintaining records of all project agreements, finances, reports, and documents.
- Prepare staff cost estimates for Professional Engineering Services to be performed by in-house and/or consultants. Review consultant proposals.
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering with major coursework in Civil/Transportation Engineering and/or Planning from an ABET-accredited engineering college or university.
- Minimum of eight (8) years of experience in progressively more difficult and responsible transportation planning / engineering work.
- Examples of relevant experience include traffic planning studies and simulation; functional/conceptual design; and traffic safety studies.
- Proficiency and effectiveness in written and oral communication skills.
- Proficiency in the use of software applications such as Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Valid Driver’s License.
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
- Licensed Professional Engineer in the State of New York or New Jersey
- Possession of certification as a Professional Planner (PP) or American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP)
- Possession of a Master’s Degree in Transportation Planning and Engineering.
- Ability to lead, manage, and prioritize multiple assignments, with prior experience supervising professional and/or technical staff.
- Working knowledge of guidelines and standards such as, but not limited to, MUTCD and AASHTO.
- Demonstrated experience in problem solving, decision making, negotiations and conflict resolution skills to effectively reach sound conclusions and recommendations.
- Working knowledge of traffic analysis and modeling tools and software such, but not limited to, Synchro, HCM, and VISSIM.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the "Apply Now" button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume. The Port Authority of NY & NJ welcomes veteran and military spouse applications.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority:
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than twenty three billion in annual wages and eighty billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.