The Commodities and Services Division of the Procurement Department at the Port Authority is looking for a Senior Buyer
to join their team. In this role, you will facilitate and lead all aspects of the strategic sourcing, procurement processes and negotiations for high-impact commodities and complex services and solutions, serving as a procurement lead on Agency environmental procurements, and sustainability initiatives and priorities. Under the supervision of the Program Director, of the Senior Buyer’s responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Utilizing the most effective procurement methods for the request such as bids, request for proposal (RFP) and request for information (RFI);
- Leading high impact procurements, from inception to award, that support the mission of the agency, keep the region moving and ensure best-in-class operations at our facilities;
- Serving as category lead for fuel, snow, cleaning, HVAC, electrical, pest control, landscaping and other services in all Agency areas of business including rail, ports, aviation, tunnels and bridges, and warehouses;
- Developing and implementing strategies to increase awards to the Agency’s certified vendor community;
- Responsible for leading complex bids and RFPs through the evaluation and negotiation phases to award;
- Reviewing and providing targeted, market driven feedback on scopes, price sheets and solicitation documents to ensure clarity and completeness;
- Analyzing and incorporating relevant input to vendor proposals, and other related documents for responsiveness, accuracy, and completeness;
- Negotiate and award contracts in accordance with the Agency’s objectives, guidelines and policies; and receive necessary approvals, as needed;
- Provide strategic direction to interdisciplinary teams and while fostering a work environment of collaboration, teamwork, innovation and creativity to ensure Agency objectives are met;
- Leverages best practices throughout the procurement life-cycle;
- Cost/price management and cost/price structure analysis;
- Expected to anticipate and resolve issues with internal and external clients;
- Expected to ensure compliance with the Agency’s Small Contracts Program (MWBE set-aside);
- Participates in Port Authority Minority Business Enterprise/Women Owned Business Enterprises, Local Business Enterprises Outreach functions, serving as the Authority’s Procurement representative, publicly discussing goals and requirements for Commodities and Services Division;
- Participate in continuous improvement activities in order to promote team efforts;
- Position shall perform other related duties as assigned.
Candidates must possess the following qualifications to be eligible for this position:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university, and three years’ of progressively responsible procurement experience.
- Minimum of five years’ procurement experience may be substituted in lieu of a Bachelor’s degree.
- Demonstrated experience with procurements and an ability to effectively interpret and work with contract terms and related documents.
- Working knowledge of procurement best practices inclusive of sourcing methods.
Ideal candidates will possess the following profile:
- Proven market knowledge and general market research and negotiation skills.
- Experience in leading teams, developing and maintaining project schedules and delivering completed work product on time in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience in reviewing and effectively editing scopes of work, price sheets and other related procurement documents.
- Strong decision-making and problem-solving skills, excellent oral and written communication skills combined with the ability to maintain effective relationships internally and externally with a strong customer service orientation.
- Experience navigating and effectively using technology and procurement systems and sourcing tools such as and web-based applications.
- Demonstrated experience with standard business software such as Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat, Office 365, etc.
- Experience with environmental and sustainability procurements, such as electric vehicles, energy, solar, green initiatives, power purchase agreements; energy auctions; and procurement efforts that resulted in offsets of carbon emissions.
- Experience working with complex procurement processes.
- Experience leading the Request For Proposals (RFP) process.
- Experience with procurements funded by third-party sources, grants and loans.
- Experience in the planning and/or implementation of local, minority, woman, disadvantaged, service-disabled veteran or small business enterprise programs related to procurement.
- Demonstrated experience handling multiple assignments and heavy workload while meeting tight deadlines in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
- Possession of one of the following: Certified Professional Public Buyer (CPPB), Certified Public Purchasing Officer (CPPO), Certified Purchasing Manager (CPM) or Project Management Professional (PMP) certification.
- Experience in drafting and analyzing contract terms and ability to work with legal staff on terms.
- Experience navigating and effectively using electronic procurement and sourcing tools such as SAP.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the "Apply Now" button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume. The Port Authority of NY & NJ welcomes veteran and military spouse applications.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority:
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than twenty three billion in annual wages and eighty billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.