This job posting is no longer active.
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey offers paid internships to students that provide the opportunity to work with knowledgeable and experienced professionals on assignments critical to operating, maintaining, and expanding the transportation infrastructure for one of the greatest economies in the world. Assignments include hands-on projects to cultivate technical, writing, communication, and team-building skills. The diversity of our businesses creates a variety of opportunities for students to gain exposure to the work of a first-class public agency.
The Office of the Chief Operating Officer (OCOO) is looking for an intern to join their team! Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Conduct benchmarking and perform research and analysis on best practices and business performance metrics in operations, data governance and strategy, customer experience and workforce trainings
- Coordinate meetings with OCOO departments and facilitate staff tours of facilities
- Research, develop, and lead the migration efforts for a central organized filing system for business and administrative documents and ongoing projects and contracts overseen by OCOO
- Assist in tracking project plans, milestones, deliverables, and schedules for projects tied to the strategic working groups, customer experience program, asset management program, and sustainability projects that OCOO is overseeing or assisting with
- Assist in the development and implementation of new OCOO systems and processes, including the Agency’s Board and authorization process, ensuring alignment with Agency guidelines and schedules
- Assist in the strategic planning and coordination of various cross-departmental working group initiatives
- Assist in preparing executive-level communications on behalf of the COO and the OCOO
- Assist with special projects and assignments as needed
About the Office of the Chief Operating Officer:
The Office of the Chief Operating Officer oversees operations at the Port Authority’s five lines of business: Aviation, PATH, Port, Tunnels, Bridges & Terminals, and the World Trade Center, as well as the Operations Services Department, with the vision of being a world-class operator of world-class facilities. OCOO staff work on the following areas: business performance and innovation; customer experience; excellence in operations, maintenance, and safety across all facilities in the Line Departments; and advancing agency strategic priorities and initiatives.
- Candidates must be students enrolled in a graduate program returning to their program during the Fall 2023 semester.
- We are seeking interns who are talented, driven, and have a genuine interest in contributing to the success of the New York/New Jersey region.
- We welcome applications from a diverse range of majors/minors.
- Successful candidates will be self-starters with excellent communication, research, and applicable technical skills.
- Graduate student majoring in Urban Planning, Architecture, Public Policy, Engineering, Computer Science, Business Administration, Political Science, or related field
- Demonstrated commitment to working in the public sector
- Demonstrated ability to work independently on complex assignments and to work in a fast-paced team environment on multi-disciplinary projects
- Excellent oral, written, and presentation skills
- The duration is expected to be approximately 12 weeks, starting in the beginning of June 2023
- This internship will require work 5 days/week at 7.25 hours/day
- The format is expected to be hybrid, partially in-person and partially virtual
- These details are subject to change
How to Apply:
- Click “Apply Now”
- Follow the prompts
- Make sure you submit the following:
- A resume (please make sure to include your expected graduation date)
- A cover letter detailing why you want to work at The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey
The Selection Process:
- Only applicants under consideration will be contacted
- Interns are selected based on academic achievement and work experience, in addition to analytical and communication skills
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the "Apply Now" button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume. The Port Authority of NY & NJ welcomes veteran and military spouse applications.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority:
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than twenty three billion in annual wages and eighty billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.