Reporting to the Chief or Assistant Chief Geotechnical Engineer in the Engineering Architecture Design Division, the Senior Principal Geotechnical Engineer will be a project geotechnical subject matter expert with the following responsibilities.
- For projects designed in house, lead a team of geotechnical engineers in coordination with other design disciplines to complete preliminary designs and reports, final designs, and the preparation of contract drawings and specifications .
- For large development projects at any of the Port Authority facilities for aviation, tunnels, bridges and terminals, PATH , and ports, review design submittals from developers and their consultants for geotechnical design criteria, preliminary and final design, and construction staging to ensure compliance with applicable codes and Port Authority standards.
- Procure consultant services when required to supplement in house staff by preparing requests for proposals, reviewing proposal, and providing recommendations for awarding an agreement.
- Provide construction support services as required.
- Provide critical guidance to all stakeholders, in conformance with current NYC Building Codes, AASHTO Specifications, NYSDOT Standards, Port Authority Geotechnical Design Guidelines and the PA Tenant Construction Manual.
- Coordinate the design services between disciplines and ensure that projects are delivered in conformance with the Agency’s QA/QC and project delivery guidelines.
- Assist with interviewing and providing recommendations for hiring temporary and permanent staff.
- Represent the Geotechnical Group for both technical and administrative matters when the Chief Geotechnical Engineer and Asst. Chief Geotechnical Engineer are unavailable.
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- Have a Master’s Degree in Geotechnical Engineering from an accredited college or university.
- Possess a minimum of fifteen (15) years of geotechnical design and design management experience.
- Licensed in the state of NY or NJ.
- Applicants must meet all performance and attendance standards and have completed all probationary periods.
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
- Proven ability to lead, manage and prioritize multiple high profile, multi- discipline engineering assignments.
- Proven ability to perform audit reviews of developer submittals and lead a
geotechnical design team for a large redevelopment program.
- Experience in foundation design for airport facilities and transportation terminals, circulation roadways and bridges, interstate bridges and tunnels, and port facilities.
- Experience in preparing and reviewing Consultant services and recommending awards.
- Experience with interviewing and providing recommendations for hiring staff.
- Strong conceptualization, problem solving, decision-making and conflict resolution skills from experience on large complex projects.
- Possess thorough knowledge of geotechnical construction methods and experience responding to questions and field issues during construction.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to work independently and prioritize as required.
- Proficiency in preparing and reviewing contract documents.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Possess thorough knowledge of geotechnical design requirements and construction methods and a working knowledge of applicable codes and standards.
- Experience with Port Authority Geotechnical Design Guidelines and Tenant Construction Manual.
- Experience and proficiency in:
- Seismic design and liquefaction analyses, including site specific analyses.
- Deep and shallow foundation design, including design of driven and drilled piles.
- Trenchless technologies, including, horizontal drilling and microtunneling.
- Ground treatment and settlement analyses.
- Geotechnical computer programs, such as, PLAXIS, PROSHAKE, WEAP, ENSOFT Suite, SHORING Suite, etc.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the "Apply Now" button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume. The Port Authority of NY & NJ welcomes veteran and military spouse applications.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority:
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than $23 billion in annual wages and $80 billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.