The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey is seeking a highly motivated and creative individual to fill the senior-level position of Strategic Communications Manager in our Office of Media Relations. The ideal candidate is a team player with superior professional written and oral communication skills, sound news judgment, an interest in regional transportation policy and the ability to meet tight deadlines and multitask effectively in a fast-paced environment.
Reporting to the Deputy Director, Media Communications, the Strategic Editorial Manager will play a key role in shaping the agency’s narrative externally through the strategic storytelling and content creation of materials ranging from press releases/advisories, blog posts, and public statements to social media and website content. The ideal candidate is an expert writer who has daily journalism or public-sector communications experience in integrated storytelling across multiple platforms and disciplines. This is a key role within the Office of Media Relations, working closely with leaders across the agency to support its $37 billion 10-year capital plan and all issues that affect the organization’s reputation.
As part of the Office of Media Relations, you will work in a fast-paced environment, where breaking news events often dictate a day’s priorities. Flexibility is necessary, with the need of some on-call, evening, and weekend work as needed.
- Draft and edit written materials on deadline including press releases/advisories, blog posts, public statements, social media, and website content.
- Help develop and execute short-lead and long-lead editorial strategies including multi-platform campaigns.
- Support team functions as needed, such as on-site agency representation at public events or emergencies.
- Responsibilities may include leading reactive media response and strategic planning of an agency asset.
- Serve as spokesperson as needed.
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- Minimum 5 years of experience in breaking news journalism, feature writing, public relations, corporate communications, or related field, with demonstrated skill through published materials or clips
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in literature, communications, journalism, public policy, government, marketing, or related field. An additional 5 years of experience will be considered in lieu of a Bachelor's degree.
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
- Superior written and oral communication skills with demonstrated experience in preparing and delivering presentation materials to senior staff, and ability to distill complex ideas or technical jargon into engaging written material for a wide audience.
- Experience in creating and executing editorial strategies or strategic communication plans.
- Collaborate effectively with partners or stakeholders at all levels, while still maintaining independence and objectivity.
- Ability to manage the tactical execution of the communications strategy and problem-solving day-to-day emergencies while navigating in a complex agency, whether in the public or private sector.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with reporters and articulate complex issues to media or the public.
- Excellent instincts and ability to balance multiple priorities while meeting deadlines.
- Strong problem-solving, decision-making and research skills.
- Strong relationships with NY & NJ media outlets, particularly reporters covering regional transportation and infrastructure.
- Existing working relationships with staff at regional agencies on city, state and federal levels, particularly in areas where Port Authority facilities are located.
- A news hound for regional and national current affairs and issues, and familiarity with Port Authority’s missions and goals.
- Solid professional social media presence.
- Ability to multi-task or pivot between projects in a fast-paced environment with a consistent track record of meeting deadlines.
- Excellent technical and organizational skills, detail-oriented with the ability to work well under pressure with the ability to simultaneously handle multiple deadlines and effectively manage changing priorities.
- Strong research, analytical, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to interact with staff at all levels and departments.
- Able to manage issues during off-hours, given the 24/7 nature of the agency’s operations.
- Working knowledge of Associated Press style and U.S. journalism ethics code.
- Master’s degree in related field.
- Fluency or speaking ability in a second language, particularly Spanish.
- Enthusiasm for discovering the inner workings of the Port Authority and telling the stories of its mission and employees.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the "Apply Now" button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume. The Port Authority of NY & NJ welcomes veteran and military spouse applications.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority:
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than $23 billion in annual wages and $80 billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.