This job posting is no longer active.
Civil Engineers at the Port Authority work on a diverse set of iconic infrastructure. Reporting to the Chief Civil Engineer, the Principal Engineer-Civil will be primarily responsible for supervising technical staff performing engineering design. Areas of design include airfields, roadway geometrics, freight and passenger rail, pavement design and management, utilities and/or stormwater management.
The successful candidate will apply their experience to deliver a wide range of projects while mentoring and supervising assigned staff.
Responsibilities also include:
- Direct a team of engineering professionals and manage internal resources to deliver drawings, calculations, specifications, estimates and reports.
- Apply the Authority’s guidelines as well as codes and standards like FAA Circulars, AASHTO and AREMA. Perform quality assurance/quality control reviews for conformance to those codes and standards.
- Provide innovative ideas to solve complex issues, save cost and accelerate delivery.
- Work with the Authority’s Project Management and Line Department teams to determine scope, schedule and design budget for projects.
- Provide Line Departments with design alternatives and associated costs for planning and funding of future projects. Act as a primary technical contact for Line Departments.
- Coordinate civil design with other Engineering Department disciplines like electrical, structural, mechanical, traffic, and environmental.
- When workload exceeds assigned staff capabilities, procure external consultant services to deliver projects. Prepare scope of work, solicit proposals, critically review proposals, negotiate cost, and ensure schedule/budget compliance. Audit deliverables for compliance with Authority guidelines and standards.
- Participate in and/or conduct meetings. Perform field surveys and inspections as necessary.
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- Minimum of 12 years professional engineering experience in design and maintenance/rehabilitation strategies for pavements, utilities, geometric design, airfield design, trackwork, and stormwater management.
- Bachelor's degree in civil engineering from an ABET accredited engineering college or university.
- Licensed Professional Engineer in the State of New York or State of New Jersey.
- Valid driver's license or ability to obtain a driver’s license within 6 months.
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
- Master's degree in civil engineering from an ABET accredited engineering college or university.
- Experience supervising professional technical staff.
- Demonstrated experience in negotiations and conflict resolution skills to effectively reach sound conclusions and recommendations.
- Proven ability to lead, manage, and prioritize multiple assignments with multiple disciplines.
- Ability to demonstrate strong conceptualization, problem solving, and decision-making skills from experience in directing, and managing both routine and complex civil infrastructure programs and projects.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to work independently and prioritize as required.
- Effective oral, including experience in making presentations, and written communication skills commensurate with the supervisory responsibilities of the position.
- Experience in engineering large complex infrastructure design projects.
- Knowledge of AASHTO, FAA Advisory Circulars and similar standards or guidelines.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the "Apply Now" button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume. The Port Authority of NY & NJ welcomes veteran and military spouse applications.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority:
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than $23 billion in annual wages and $80 billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.