Reporting to the Data Analytics Program Manager, the Senior Data Scientist is responsible for leading the adoption of the Aviation Data Analytics Warehouse (ADAW), acting as the primary liaison between the Aviation Department business unit’s subject matter experts (SMEs) and the Data Analytics and Business Intelligence (DABI) Team. The Senior Data Scientist will work closely with Central Office, airport managers and staff to ensure ADAW is providing relevant and operationally actionable dashboards and insights for data-driven decision-making. Additionally, the Senior Data Scientist will provide technical expertise in data stream integration and dashboard creation, working with business units to successfully implement data science techniques (web scaping, machine learning, etc.) to advance the Department’s strategic priorities of world-class customer experience and operational efficiency.
Specific job duties include, but are not limited to:
Aviation Data Analytics Warehouse Adoption & Training
- Create reporting dashboards to increase use of ADAW. Develop dashboards in conjunction with business unit SMEs as requested by ADAW users.
- Manage the execution of DABI’s training program strategy by overseeing and coordinating the content of tailored training programs for department users
- Facilitate data-driven decision-making in the department by implementing continuous improvement workflow processes across the department. Support the use of data to impact operational workflows and positively impact customer experience by helping to identify, quantify, and operationalize workflows that can be made more efficient by using data
Program Management Support
- Manage QAQC communication and follow-through with data vendors to ensure data issues that affect ADAW data streams are addressed.
- Coordinate the resolution of bugs and enhancements with consultants to ensure program is maintained and operated at a high level of service to its users
- Build and maintain relationships with Aviation Department and Agency business users to support ADAW adoption and promote potential project and data stream collaboration opportunities
Advanced Analytics and Research
- Deploy state-of-the-art data science techniques to drive the department to be a leader in advanced data analytics. Develop web-scraping algorithms to bring in publicly available data streams to increase data housed in ADAW
- Attend relevant Data Science conferences and stay up to date on academic and industry’s latest trends in technology and business intelligence to ensure the program is pursuing its strategy according to best practices
- Produce technical white papers on data science techniques employed and its impact to Department’s operations to contribute to academic and industry knowledge
- Prepare policy briefings, memos, and presentations on specifically requested use cases, on the ADAW program, or as assigned
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- Bachelor’s degree in Data Science, Computer Science, Statistics, Applied Math, Public Policy, Transportation Planning, or another related field
- One to Three years of practical or professional experience in data science or computer programming with R, Python, Stata, SQL, or other relevant programming languages
- Ability to multitask, prioritize, and manage time effectively
- Ability to clearly and concisely communicate technical results and concepts to key decision makers
- Ability to analyze problems and strategize for better solutions
- Goal-oriented, organized team player comfortable in both a leadership and team-player role
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
- Master’s degree in Data Science, Computer Science, Statistics, Applied Math, Public Policy, Transportation Planning, or another related field
- Any industry experience in both public policy and data science using R, Python, Stata, SQL or other relevant programming languages
- Experience working in government or the public sector
- Experience working with logistic and linear regressions, decision tree analysis, and statistical methods
- Knowledge of tools and techniques in machine learning and predictive modeling
- Demonstrated ability to plan and schedule work activities to ensure that priorities are maintained, and projects are completed accurately and on time
- Creative problem solver who thrives when presented with a challenge
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the "Apply Now" button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume. The Port Authority of NY & NJ welcomes veteran and military spouse applications.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority:
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than $23 billion in annual wages and $80 billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.