Reporting to the Assistant Director of Business Solutions, the Manager, Geographical Information Systems (GIS) leads the GIS team and manages the Port Department’s GIS operations. The Manager, GIS is responsible for the overall performance of this unit, supervising and mentoring the GIS team directly, managing Port’s GIS Technology Road Map, and ensuring GIS related needs are being fulfilled for internal stakeholders and project teams. The Manager, GIS will develop strategies to move Agency initiatives forward including that of the Enterprise Asset Management program. This is a manager level position currently with no direct reports.
- Utilizes GIS applications and techniques to effectively analyze and visualize complex geospatial data for short-term and long-term project management and leasing needs.
- Designs, develops and manages geodatabases in support of mapping activities relative to project locations, leases, infrastructure assets and other physical features.
- Effectively coordinates the alignment, aggregation, and utilization of geospatial data in a common data environment for information related to all of the Port facilities and functional groups.
- Prepares visually appealing, accurate maps to represent land use, socioeconomic factors, air quality, noise, visuals, wetlands, natural resources, soil/water/air sampling locations, chemical analysis results, groundwater or concentration contours, other environmental constraints, property boundaries, project design, limit of disturbance, and other spatial parameters as required by the Port Department.
- Support day to day operations for Port’s project managers, department leaders, and project teams, maintaining regular communication, assessing needs, coordinating staffing and resources, and fulfilling those needs in a timely, quality fashion.
- Administer GIS resources and processes to ensure consistency and promote best practices.
- Administer and optimize overall quality and timeliness of the team’s output, with an emphasis on eliminating/minimizing risk for our Project Managers and project teams.
- Monitor project costs, budgets and timelines, working with the Finance unit as needed.
- Recruit and train talent, conduct performance reviews, and attend to performance related issues as needed, collaborating with HR.
- Review / approve staff time sheets and invoices.
- Assist with building out, maintaining and strengthening Port’s GIS technology road map.
- Ensure GIS team members are equipped with proper resources and troubleshoot tech related issues.
- Regularly assess existing technology and processes against other available technology to optimize efficiencies
- Oversee implementation plans for new technologies.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Geography, Computer Science, Engineering, or a related field.
- A minimum of five (5) years of progressive leadership/supervisory experience.
- A minimum of six (6) years demonstrated proficiency with Esri ArcGIS (desktop, mobile, web), MS SQL, Python, Java Script, Revit, AutoCAD.
- Knowledge of the use of ArcGIS Enterprise in the Azure Cloud environment
- Selected candidate will be required to pass a Federal Security Background check and obtain a Transportation Workers Identification Credential (TWIC) to work in a maritime environment as required by Department of Homeland Security.
- A valid driver's license, as the position will require the incumbent to travel independently to the various Port facilities in New York and New Jersey, and construction sites within the facility, which are not easily accessible via public transportation.
Ideal candidates will possess the following skills and experiences:
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with maintenance management and enterprise asset management business functions including, but not limited to, mobile/spatial data collection, condition assessment, work order management, asset data management, analysis and integration, establishment of performance targets and measures, life cycle modeling, and executive level reporting and dashboarding.
- Demonstrated experience in developing project plans, managing project scope, schedule and budget, setting project priorities, coordinating project activities, and delegating tasks and responsibilities.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and experience managing a diverse workforce with varying work backgrounds, expertise and levels.
- Proven ability to develop intricate program and project strategies to achieve business goals and to understand their impact on various stakeholders.
- Extensive experience in managing and influencing diverse work groups, project teams and internal and external stakeholders.
- Demonstrated superior decision-making, problem solving, conflict resolution and interpersonal skills.
- Recognized leadership qualities in the guidance of staff to deliver program and project objectives.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to be persuasive with staff at all levels.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to make concise presentations to a variety of audiences.
- Proficiency with any or all of the following applications and technologies: MS Office 365, MS Visio, MS Project, MS Power BI, IBM Maximo and Maximo Spatial.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the "Apply Now" button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume. The Port Authority of NY & NJ welcomes veteran and military spouse applications.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority:
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than $23 billion in annual wages and $80 billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.