As a reporting Department to the Chief Financial Officer, the Comptroller’s Department is a team of dedicated professionals who ensure the accuracy of the Port Authority’s finances. As part of the Comptroller’s Department team, you will gain insight and experience surrounding the agency’s financial structure and internal control processes as well as knowledge of the operations of our various lines of business, giving you extensive opportunities for a long-term career at the Port Authority.
Under the direction of the Assistant Manager, Fixed Asset Accounting, the successful candidate’s responsibilities for the Aviation portfolio will include, but are not limited to:
- Supervising, leading and developing staff responsible for the preparation of investment, depreciation, assets under construction and capital expenditure schedules and reports to ensure that division goals are met or exceeded.
- Preparing year-end summary schedules of cumulative capital investment for inclusion in the Notes to the Port Authority’s Consolidated Financial Statements.
- Analyzing and assessing financial transactions, contract payments, passenger facility charges, and expenditure authorizations, including Board Items, and provide appropriate asset accounting for major capital initiatives.
- Prepare year-end schedules of cumulative capital investment for the Port Authority’s Consolidated Aviation Lease Records for Summary of Fixed Assets and Fixed Charges, along with Summary of Additions and Adjustments by Aviation Cost Center.
- Supervise the preparation of quarterly schedules of Forecast of Fixed Charges for submission to Lease Accounting based on Forecasted Settlements for the Year from Aviation Financial Services.
- Supervise the preparation of quarterly schedules of Central Heating and Refrigeration Plant Forecast for submission to Lease Accounting
- Identify, access and apply relevant professional frameworks, including accounting standards and guidance, as well as, other information for analysis and to make informed decisions.
- Identify and utilize relevant technology and tools to analyze data efficiently and effectively.
- Support system and process management by identifying and enhancing appropriate business process and systems related frameworks and controls to assist in enhancing current systems for efficient and effective operation
- Ensuring all fixed assets are properly classified (capital vs. expense, completed construction vs. work in progress, recoverable vs. non-recoverable).
- Reviewing Agenda items and MJ’s for classification of assets, adherence to established policies, consistency with accounting requirements and PA policy, and identification and resolution of significant accounting and/or business issues.
- Establishing and maintaining effective business relationships with Financial Departments, and Line Department Financial and Project Management staff to provide a process for the exchange and communication of information between departments.
- Research technical issues, prepare reports, and propose viable solutions
- Support audit requests by internal and external auditors which includes coordinating research, vetting information for audit requests
- Coordinate monthly reviews and analyses of capital spending, and prepare year to year variance analysis for all Aviation facilities and Major projects which contribute to the variance, for monthly Comptroller Roundtable.
- Post monthly Lease Records in SAP
- Prepare monthly Work-In-Progress Report for entire Fixed Assets Division with coordination from Project Management Office-ICMS tech team
- Additional duties as assigned
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Corporate Finance from an accredited college or university with a minimum of 3 years of relevant work experience.
- In lieu of bachelor’s degree a minimum of 7 years of relevant work experience can be accepted.
- Management or supervisory experience
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Auditing Experience
- Analytical and creative problem solving ability
- Experience with Port Authority Accounting Structure
- Self-starter with demonstrated high performance capabilities
- Demonstrated ability to organize, coordinate and lead training
- Demonstrated ability to prepare and analyze financial statements
- Demonstrated knowledge of SAP, Microsoft Office Suite (Excel/Word)
- Demonstrated ability to handle pressure situations including multiple assignments within tight time constraints
- Demonstrated ability to interpret, research and apply accounting theory as it relates to Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
- Desire to focus on non-routine and non-recurring advisory and project related work
- Knowledge of Port Authority Aviation Lease Records
- ICMS experience
- Pursuing CPA or CPA License
Compensation & Benefits
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey offers a competitive salary, an outstanding benefits package and a professional environment that supports development and recognizes achievement.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the Apply Now button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume. The Port Authority of NY & NJ welcomes veteran and military spouse applications.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than $23 billion in annual wages and $80 billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.