Reporting to the Manager, Business and Transportation Analysis, the Senior Transportation Planner is responsible for a flexible range of data collection, transportation analysis, and administrative tasks to support the transportation and business planning and operations analysis functions in the Tunnels, Bridges & Terminals Department (TB&T).
Core responsibilities of this position include:
- Developing expertise in facility operations and the regional transportation network to provide input on potential improvements or mitigation efforts whenever needed in support of construction projects, special events, emergency operations, long-term planning, or other situations
- Maintaining and improving data sources for use by TB&T, Traffic Engineering, and the Planning Department. This includes refining data collection methodologies to improve cost effectiveness and accuracy, comparing new and historical data to identify potential errors and develop trend analysis, and staying current with facility needs and industry technologies to recommend needs and opportunities for new data collection
- Writing scopes of work for consultant task orders as well as projects performed by internal staff teams, including updates for routine annual data collection, as-needed data collection for targeted analyses, and various transportation studies
- Managing consultant teams to complete task orders, ensuring work is completed on time and within budget, fieldwork is carefully coordinated with facility staff, and relationships with our consultants remain positive
- Serving as the unit’s quality control check on consultant deliverables as well as drafts produced by internal or interdepartmental teams
- Periodically organizing and leading fieldwork efforts with internal staff teams
- Compiling the unit’s annual expense budget and reporting on monthly accruals
- Reviewing transportation studies and analyses by outside parties (partner agencies, private developers, etc.), including traffic simulations
- Coordinating TB&T studies and analyses with Traffic Engineering, the Planning Department, and regional partners, and participating on interdepartmental/interagency teams when necessary
- Compiling and summarizing TB&T business performance metrics in a Microsoft Access database and analyzing those data and preparing presentations based on those data
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- Expert user skills in Microsoft Office, including Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Bachelor's Degree in Transportation Engineering or equivalent and a minimum of four (4) to six (6) years of progressively responsible experience with data collection and transportation analysis or Master’s Degree in Transportation Planning, Transportation Engineering, or equivalent and two (2) to four (4) years of progressively responsible experience with data collection and transportation analysis
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
- Demonstrated analytical skills used in solving complex transportation problems
- Strong familiarity with standards and guidelines for transportation planning and design (HCM, ITE Handbook, AASHTO Green Book, NACTO, etc.)
- A strong teamwork orientation, ability to work well with staff across the department and at all levels of the agency to achieve common goals
- Proficiency with software commonly used for statistical analysis (SPSS, R, etc.)
- Experience with database management, including Microsoft Access
- Familiarity with the range of software commonly used for transportation analysis (HCS, Synchro, VISSIM, Aimsun, Legion, etc.)
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and within a team
- Strong project management skills, including developing, implementing, and managing project plans, deliverables, and schedules
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability prioritize multiple assignments with competing deadlines
- Knowledge of Port Authority operating policies and procedures
- Demonstrated ability to think creatively and develop innovative solutions
Compensation & Benefits
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey offers a competitive salary, an outstanding benefits package and a professional environment that supports development and recognizes achievement.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the Apply Now button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume. The Port Authority of NY & NJ welcomes veteran and military spouse applications.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than $23 billion in annual wages and $80 billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.