Reporting to the Chief of Materials Engineering, and under the direct supervision of the Supervisor of Physical Testing, the Materials Engineer will be an Assistant to the Supervisor of the Concrete Laboratory. This position will be responsible for conducting concrete and masonry laboratory testing and analysis in support of Port Authority of NY & NJ contracts and programs. The position is primarily for laboratory and office work, but may include some fieldwork as necessary, including sampling and testing of concrete and masonry materials, inspection and testing of contract work in progress and management of the Concrete Laboratory when the Supervisor of the Concrete Laboratory is not present. Knowledge of ASTM and AASHTO testing standards and hands-on familiarity with inspection and testing procedures and equipment is required for quality acceptance of concrete and masonry.
Specific tasks include but are not limited to the following:
- Laboratory Testing
- Concrete Sampling, Testing and Analysis for the following:
- Air content
- Unit weight
- Casting cylinders, beams and cubes
- Compressive and flexural strength
- Microwave Oven Drying (to determine W/CM ratio)
- AASHTO Accreditation Program
- Participate in on-site audits conducted by accrediting agencies to maintain laboratory certifications
- Maintain records for staff certifications and equipment calibrations
- Calibration and maintenance of field and laboratory instrumentation, including thermometers, scales, unit weight measures, tampers, slump cones, and other equipment needed for concrete and grout testing
- Investigate new technologies related to testing of concrete, concrete repair materials, non-shrink grout, epoxies, MMA’s, and crack repair materials
- Concrete and Masonry Materials Field Sampling and Testing
- Inspection and testing of concrete materials, including temperature, air content, unit weight, microwave oven drying (w/cm ratio), casting cylinders, beams and cubes
- Inspection and testing of masonry materials, including sampling of CMU’s, verifying correct size and type of CMU are used in construction, inspection of steel reinforcement in accordance with approved shop drawings, sampling and testing of masonry mortar and grout.
- Perform controlled and specials inspection, including, but not limited to rebar inspections, concrete placements, consolidation, and curing
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in science or engineering, with course work in Civil Engineering, Civil Engineering Technology or Construction Management
- Possess a valid driver’s license
- Ability to obtain security clearance (10-year background check) for restricted airport work
- Three to five years’ experience in concrete and masonry sampling and testing
- Completed OSHA 30-hour Construction Safety Training
- Possess the following certifications: ACI Concrete Field Testing Technician Grade I, ACI Concrete Construction Special Inspector, ACI Strength Testing Technician, and NYSHMA Density Testing Inspector.
- Demonstrated skills for laboratory testing, knowledge of ASTM and AASHTO testing standards for concrete and masonry, problem solving and ability to research and recommend innovations.
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Self-motivated, team leader, experienced in the overall quality of concrete work.
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
- Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in Civil Engineering, Civil Engineering Technology or Construction Management
- New York State and/or New Jersey State Fundamentals of Engineering
- New York State and/or New Jersey State Professional Engineer’s License
Compensation & Benefits
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey offers a competitive salary, an outstanding benefits package and a professional environment that supports development and recognizes achievement.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the Apply Now button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume. The Port Authority of NY & NJ welcomes veteran and military spouse applications.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than $23 billion in annual wages and $80 billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.