The Port Authority offers paid summer internships to students that provide the opportunity to work with knowledgeable and experienced professionals on assignments critical to operating, maintaining, and expanding the transportation infrastructure for one of the greatest economies in the world.
Assignments include hands-on projects to cultivate technical, writing, communication and team-building skills. The diversity of our businesses creates a variety of opportunities for students to gain exposure to the work of a first-class public agency.
The Port department is looking for a summer intern to join their team in the Port, Business Planning & Policy! Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Social media outreach of newly recorded webinar “Resume Building & Interviewing 101”.
- Organize logistics, secure speakers and develop script and slides for September workforce develop recording “Women in Non-Traditional Careers”.
- HS Educators Event Planning and Outreach.
- Analysis of 2021 drayage trucking job outreach including next steps to address any shortfalls identified.
- Support with 2021 Infrastructure Grant Strategy and Potential Applications including research and ensuring grant team contributors are on point.
- Support with grant management reporting and reimbursements.
- 2021 Legislative Analysis Support and potential support for WRDA 2022.
- Virtual (or In-person) Port Tour Support including one for PANYNJ Summer Interns and 8/12 planned tour for job seekers within the region.
- Help with social media engagement for the TLD LinkedIn Job Board.
- Assist with updates for tracking progress to Port Department’s Business Plan and 2021 Risk Assessment.
- Best Practice analysis and recommendations for legislative analysis, tracking and advocacy.
About the Port Department:
The Port of New York and New Jersey is the gateway to one of the most concentrated consumer markets in North America and the largest port on the East Coast. Our ability to get goods into the hands of consumers quickly gives us our competitive edge along with receiving the most first port of calls, 72%, than any other East Coast port. The Port Planning & Policy team is responsible for a variety of functions that support the Port of NY & NJ including Workforce Development, Business and Strategic Business Planning, Enterprise Risk, Infrastructure grant strategy, writing and management, federal advocacy and legislative tracking in support of the NY/NJ Port.
- Students must be enrolled in an undergraduate program for the upcoming Fall 2021 school semester.
- We are seeking interns who are talented, driven and who have a genuine interest in contributing to the success of the New York/New Jersey region.
- We welcome applications from a diverse range of University disciplines and concentrations.
- Successful candidates will be self-starters with excellent communication, research and applicable technical skills.
- Strong project management skills.
- Ability to collaborate or work independently.
- Business planning experience.
- Understanding of enterprise risk.
- Understanding of the US legislative process and interest in political science.
About the Program
- Interns have the opportunity to support their departments with critical projects such as analyzing regional demand data for our airports, conducting interview assessments, development of our annual budget, designing sustainability initiatives, and developing operational plans for retail development.
- On the job, learning is supported by networking sessions with senior management, intern meet and greets and career workshops; broadening your understanding of the agency.
This position will be a virtual internship opportunity.
This internship is expected to be a part-time internship lasting 12 weeks.
How To Apply
- To apply, please click on the ‘Apply Now’ button.
- Please be sure to complete all steps of the application process and click Submit at the end.
- Applicants will receive a generated confirmation email upon application completion.
- To be considered for the position you must respond to the essay question below.
- All applicants must answer all prompted questions and essay.
- Please upload your response and resume as one document in the section of the online. application that prompts you to upload your resume.
- Your essay response cannot exceed 150 words.
Applications that do not include a resume and essay response will be considered incomplete and will not be moved forward in the selection process.
Essay Question: Why do you want to work as a Summer Intern for the Port Authority of NY & NJ?
The application deadline is April 19, 2021 at 11:59pm. You will not be able to apply after this date.
- Interview Process: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and interviews will be conducted in March-April.
- Program Start Date: The Summer Internship Program is slated to begin June 3, 2021
The Selection Process:
- Please note that more than one department may contact students to interview.
- Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
- Interns are selected based on academic achievement, analytical and communication skills, and work experience.
About The Port Authority
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than $23 billion in annual wages and $80 billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.