Reporting to a Principal Engineer of the Electrical Engineering discipline of the Design Division, the Senior Electrical Engineer will be responsible for preparing and/or supervising technical staff in the preparation of electrical engineering studies, design calculations, contract drawings, technical specifications and construction cost estimates; evaluating project scopes, developing design criteria, budgets for design services, and design schedules; providing technical advice and assistance to facility and other PA personnel in matters related to electrical engineering; and auditing engineering designs performed by consultants.
Responsibilities also include but are not limited to the following:
- Leading project teams in the preparation of electrical engineering designs including preparation of proposals, design coordination, schedule reporting, budget reporting and briefing senior staff.
- Preparing preliminary & detailed estimates and design criteria for construction of new electrical systems and for the alteration of existing structures and utility systems. Reviewing criteria including tolerances, dimensions, shapes and sizes, and determining the properties required in materials and feasible construction methods.
- Development of preliminary conceptual design work and planning for Capital Projects and Major Work Programs. Providing the client departments with design alternatives and associated cost, for future planning and funding of projects.
- Preparation of Contract Documents consisting of drawings, technical specifications, construction cost estimates, and purchase orders. Producing biddable and constructible Contract Documents to meet the requirements of the Client Department within time schedules and budgets.
- Overseeing design consultants, junior engineers and CAD personel in the preaparation of engineering drawings. Reviewing specifications for material, equipment and construction methods and standards. Investigating and making recommendations on the type, terms and conditions of construction contracts.
- Coordinating with facility personnel and other departments on suggested revisions in contract provisions and material specifications and incorporating improvements in final contracts.
- Preparing responses to bidder questions regarding contract provisions. Estimating material, equipment and labor requirements and the cost of construction and major maintenance work.
- Performing engineering design, including technical analysis and associated economic studies and making recommendations. Ensuring technical integrity, safety, efficient operation, maintainability and sound economics of the projects.
- Ensuring that projects are coordinated with other design disciplines, Line Department facilities and outside entities (manufacturer’s representatives, utilities consulting engineers and contractors).
- Preparation of scope of work and design criteria for all projects involving consultants. Audit consultant’s design and progress. Ensuring that consultant’s design conforms to scope of work, codes, P.A. standards and cost is kept within budget.
- Providing technical assistance to facilities and ensuring safe and reliable operation of facilities.
- Maintaining knowledge of State-of-the-Art technology and equipment such as power distribution systems, microprocessor-based control systems, specialized systems such as Lighting, Fire, Security, UPS, variable speed drives, fiber optics, etc.
- Participating in field commissioning, testing including startup and troubleshooting of Electrical/Electronic systems and ensuring technical integrity, contract compliance, safety, efficient operation, maintainability, and minimum downtime of the systems.
- Providing effective guidance and supervision to assigned professional and technical staff.
- Reviewing staff performance, implementing development plans, and arranging training sessions.
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- Bachelors Degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited college or university
- A minimum of eight (8) years of experience in professional engineering work with principal experience in electrical systems design and specification writing for commercial and industrial facilities.
- A valid motor vehicle driver’s license.
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
- Masters Degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited college or university
- Licensed as a Professional Engineer in the State of New York or New Jersey
- Prior experience supervising professional and technical staff.
- Demonstrated and working knowledge of electrical codes and standards.
- Proven ability to lead, manage, and prioritize multiple assignments with multiple disciplines.
- Demonstrated experience in problem solving, negotiations and conflict resolution skills to effectively reach sound conclusions and recommendations.
- Experience in electrical systems design, substation design, underground power distribution systems, high, medium and low voltage power distribution systems, electric motors and controls, lighting and SCADA systems.
- Experience in factory testing, field testing and commissioning of medium and low voltage power distribution system equipment
- Proficiency in performing electrical calculations such as equipment sizing, short circuit and coordination studies, voltage drop, load studies, etc.
- Proficiency in preparing contract drawings such as power distribution single line, riser and interconnection diagrams, equipment layouts, plans, sections, details, etc.
- Knowledge of power analysis software, such as ETAP, EZ Power and SKM Systems Analysis.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to work independently and prioritize as required.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD, Bluebeam and Revit MEP.
- Proficient in the use of software applications, such as Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
Compensation & Benefits
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey offers a competitive salary, an outstanding benefits package and a professional environment that supports development and recognizes achievement.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the Apply Now button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume. The Port Authority of NY & NJ welcomes veteran and military spouse applications.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than $23 billion in annual wages and $80 billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.